What do you think of my (planned) first build?

Hello guys, new guy here. This looks like a generally active and very helpful PC community so I decided to post my planned build here for advice before committing any cash.

I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to this stuff but for the past week I've been looking into every component and learning what I should be going for in each category. I'm building the rig for gaming, by the way.

Before I go on, I would just like to state that of utmost importance to me is quietness in a PC. I understand that to achieve maximum quietness in a PC, there would either have to be a compromise in performance or I would have to spend considerably more on a high-end chassis and possibly the right fans. Power consumption is also an important factor for me.

Based on my requirements, I have come to the following build. I have taken into account what compromises I may or may not have to make. But am stuck on a couple of components and would appreciate some advice as to which direction I should go in.

This is what I've planned so far:

PSU - Be Quiet E9 600W
Motherboard - ASUS P8Z68-V LX
CPU - Intel i5 2500K (will be overclocking to around 4.5 every now and again)
Cooler - Noctua NH-D14
GPU - AMD Radeon HD 6850/6870 (whichever is quieter under load)
RAM - Corsair XMS3 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB Memory DDR3 - DIMM 240-pin - 1600 MHz
HDD - WD Caviar Blue 500 GB - 600 MBps - 7200 rpm

I'm going to keep my current PC's monitor and DVD drive as I don't want to let them go to waste and I can keep costs down as a result. And I won't be using a sound card as the ASUS motherboard produces adequate sound, or so I'm told.

So as you can see I've pretty much decided on everything except the actual chassis. Up until yesterday I had been set on the Cooler Master Storm Sniper. But having looked at benchmark testing for it I've found that the cooling system may not be as good as I initially perceived it to be. Granted, the tests I looked at were from a couple of years ago and were using mid-end hardware for that time, so maybe my doubts are unnecessary.

Anyway, having said that, I've narrowed it down to either the Storm Sniper or a Cooler Master HAF 932.

Many reviews I've looked at say the Storm Sniper has a great airflow system out of the box and, above all, is very quiet. However I've also seen many good things said about the HAF 932, particularly that it punches way above its weight. I'm still leaning towards the SS but if anybody has one of these cases or knows of any recent benchmarks with it, I'd be grateful for some info here regarding temperature and sound levels.

I'm open to any suggestions regarding my build. If you think something should be replaced with something you feel is better, please let me know.

So, what do you guys think?

What resolution do you intend to game at? That will dictate the most suitable GPU for your needs.

I'd also consider other brands of PSU. The wattage is fine, but other brands like Corsair, Enermax, Antec (HCG series) etc would be good choices long term. The Corsair HX/AX range of power supplies come with a 7-year warranty.

What resolution do you intend to game at? That will dictate the most suitable GPU for your needs.

I'd also consider other brands of PSU. The wattage is fine, but other brands like Corsair, Enermax, Antec (HCG series) etc would be good choices long term. The Corsair HX/AX range of power supplies come with a 7-year warranty.

I'll be gaming at a height of 900 pixels on my current monitor (I forgot the width). But I want a future-proof GPU as I will be connecting it to a 1080p 42" LG TV every once in a while and also will be upgrading the monitor eventually.

Also, I appreciate your suggestions on the PSU but that particular Be Quiet PSU is a beast from the test results I looked at on the 80 PLUS official website (it's in the gold category). It scored at least 90% efficiency across the board, except at 100% load where it scored 88%. And it comes with a 5 year warranty so I can't complain too much there.

I have the exact same setup but with a different PSU. Depends on what case you are going to use that will dictate how "silent" your setup will be.
I hear these are nice. Has USB 3.0 headers.

I live in the UK so unfortunately I can't take advantage of that sale. After shipping costs from that website it would cost me the same if I were to purchase it from a UK seller.

To be honest though, price is not a major concern for me with a case. I'd be willing to pay the extra for real quality and longevity. It just depends on what the case offers overall.

For example, the Storm Sniper is appealing for me because it supposedly has a fantastic cooling system, comes with all the necessary fans out of the box with a controller for them all, and on top of all that many reviews say it is very quiet. But in the benchmarks I've looked at, albeit on relatively outdated hardware, the cooling was inferior to the HAF 932 in every department (particularly regarding the GPU).

For me it's not a matter of price between the two. It's about which offers more overall and suits my needs perfectly. If someone could vouch for the SS's cooling system or show me some tests that prove it to be favorable in the cooling department compared to its direct competitors, then I'd go for it 100%. I'm already leaning towards it but am apprehensive based on the actual tests I've looked at.

Back