What Ever Happened to Flickr?

It's mind stonkingly incredible how badly - some of these companies were run . Some Suit so far removed from the coalface - we have a great product - so let's milk them further by forcing a yahoo account for example ( isn't even FB backing off a bit for is VR thing ) . I mean if they just offered a bit better bonuses for having a Yahoo account - the science of NUDGE.
A 13year old could of ran it better - we need it on phones , we need images that will self destruct - yeah not saying why - we just need it .
People like Elon - treat the world like a monopoly game - most of us don't - we can be ruthless, wheeling dealing , backstabbing in games - as is not real money/lives . I think people like Bezos, Trump don't care about screwing people over - it's just a big game -rules to play - always use OPM ( other players money ) , buy favor , put up roadblocks for others , acquire rising stars, press your luck with law etc .
Recognise your best attractors - even my backpacker business I knew certain long-term guests, exchange staff - would bring people or make people stay longer .
Remember Club day at Uni - no surprise the cutest boys and girls always fronted .
Companies due to laws will have some code - we need someone with front office experience ( cute as a button )

Instagram. Every photographer, DP, videographer and "artist" in general is using Instagram.

I use (free) Flickr, but you can only upload x number of photos. I use it for temp storage to share photos with family/friends. I only keep 6 months at a time worth of photos.

Flickr is basically the AOL of the image sharing world. Yahoo bought it thinking it would make a bunch of money without having to actually do anything with it. The whole model back then made no sense. Free users and Pro users both got unlimited storage and unlimited photos, but Pro users had to pay $4.99/month just to have a "Pro" tag next to their name.

I still use it for posting HQ, 4K screenshots of games, Its about the only site that doesn't compress the crap out of uploaded shots.

Imugur is utterly appalling for this, a 20Mb+ (PNG/BMP) source image is down to about 1.5Mb by the time they've finished with it.

I had all of my photos on flickr, some 17,000+ at full quality, but once Yahoo came along, and had teamed up with BT too IIR, then I jumped ship as I didn't want anything to do with such a merger as I could see it being to the detriment of the end user.

I was a pro user on Flickr and hosted all my wedding and aviation photography on there until SmugMug got its hands on it and at that point I deleted my account. I used to really like Fotopic.net as well but that too was bought out and ended up down the toilet.

Last edited:
I still use it for posting HQ, 4K screenshots of games, Its about the only site that doesn't compress the crap out of uploaded shots.

Imugur is utterly appalling for this, a 20Mb+ (PNG/BMP) source image is down to about 1.5Mb by the time they've finished with it.
If they simply offered the ability to upload any pictures and video without compression for a fee, they would have hit it big with professional users. So many oppertunities just missed completely.

The early days of photo sharing on mobile were screwey as all hell, they could have offered a cloud bakcup solution and again, hit it big. photos took years to fully integrate with mobile OSes.

Flickr started out as an excellent facility and a great community. I used to spend ages in the discussion groups, and still keep in touch friends I met in the group discussions. Then Yahoo changed the UI and it became unusable for me with (at that time) rural ADSL connection. The UI improved and I have a decent VDSL2 connection thanks to having a school up the road, but the damage was done. Groups that once had dozens of discussion posts a day now had one or two a week, which was not enough to maintain interest. The last straw for me was when they asked for serious money to keep my Pro account, so I let it lapse and deleted thousands of images so I can keep under the 1000 limit. If I still took lots of pictures I might have been prepared to pay for a Pro account, but I mainly illustrate with Photoshop nowadays.

Flickr offered much greater functionality than Instagram but also required immensely more brain cells to use it, making it inaccessible for the new generation of the internet users.

This article gives us many a factual history of Flickr. However, the premise is flawed, because it depends on these two being the same kind of platform with the same vision. Flickr wants or wanted to be an exhibit of photography for the pros and amateurs.I was a beta tester for Instagram. It was closed to the public. we debated what Instagram would be. Instagram had rivals, but it wasn't Flickr. Flickr and Smug Mug balked at the idea of going mobile. They were very elitist. I digress.
A kind of civil war started; it began over the beta testers who were professionals uploading spectacular photos, while the lay folk was uploading low-resolution photos using an iPhone 4? Then some people started posting silly comics. There were the purists and the "let everyone do their thing tribe". We know who the winner was. Instagram had competition from mphone and a few others, but they all folded. Adam Mosseri stated that Instagram was no longer a photo-sharing company. ". According to Mosseri, the main reason for that is that people come to Instagram "to be entertained," Flickr never wanted to be this. People don't remember this but it took both Flickr and SmugMug a long time to make apps to view and yes your low-quality crap. SmugMug can out with Awesome Camera, which was awesome, and a separate upload app. I don't think Flickr didn't develop a camera app. Many events happened around this time. Point & shoots got forgotten. Olivia Munn loved this small handheld camera it was going to be huge; it to got forgotten. There was a cartoon where a guy is interviewing for a photography job at National Geographic. The interviewer asks about the camera he uses to shoot. The man excitedly pulls out his cell and begins to cite the specs, but doesn't get close to finishing, because in the next panel he is tossed out of the window of the high rise. That is what the iPhone did. It changed who took photos and how. it redefined what was acceptable. Instagram couldn't survive as a photo-sharing social network. Why? That is boring. Do you think advertisers ar flocking to photos of prairies or the outrageous.

Yahoo used to be THE search engine, but it did not keep up with the times. Same as with Yahoo mail, did not keep up with Google, basically, Yahoo, is a second place business, if that.....

Flickr is where I get all my wallpapers from now. Lots of hardcore photographers use it to store nice, really high-quality photos that are easy to download.

You failed to mention the purge of adult content in 2018. Before that Flickr had been known for being a friendly home for it, making it unique among the big mainstream sites. Flickr has since reversed course and allows adult content again (though only for Pro users) but the damage was done. Many users left the site to express their displeasure with the decision, including some who did not post or view adult content.

I joined flickr right from the beginning and loved it. It had the best discussions on the Internet, and I still have friends I met on flickr. Then it turned to custard when Yahoo took over. Groups that once had 20 or more comments a day withered away till they barely got two comments a week, and eventually hardly ever any comments at all. The Yahoo sign in bollocks made it difficult to log in, and the cost of a pro account just wasn't worth it. The trouble then was that I had 5K images (it was the perfect medium for sharing event photos, which I was doing a lot of back then). With a maximum 1000 images allowed, I had to delete most of the event albums, and even some of my own images. Then it became even more difficult because some of the images I still had apparently had the wrong permissions, so I gave up and paid for the Pro account again. I feel sure they engineered the situation to make it too hard not having the pro account. I rarely use my big cameras nowadays, so most of what I upload are illustrations composites and digital art. www.flickr.com/photos/trevor-dennis/

Back