What happens when going from Win8 Release Preview to Win8 Final Release?

LookinAround

I've been looking online but haven't found any clear answer....

I've read articles (including here on TechSpot) that MS announced a Win 8 upgrade fee of $15 for people who buy a Windows 7 PC on or after June 1, 2012.

Well.... What about all the people that have old PCs that have upgraded to Windows 8 Release Preview? What happens when Windows 8 Final is released? Can they also upgrade at a $15 cost or are all these people in for a nasty surprise from MS???

I also read that going back to your original version of Windows will require a complete re-install. When Win 8 Final is released, is MS holding everyone hostage to pay some still un-announced upgrade fee or have to do a complete re-install (assuming they still have an install disk)

Fyi, I also found this link Will it be possible to upgrade from the Windows 8 Release Preview to the final version of Windows 8?

It states you will not be able to. Windows 8 preview will not support. A update of win 8 final. As it states in quit a few articles I have read and including the link you posted. A fresh install will be needed. Plus the fact you have to reinstall your own os. Is Win 8 worth all that? I am one of the few able to get the upgrade for 15.00, Beings I just bought a new computer 6 days ago. But from what I see of win8 preview articles. I am not so sure I want it.

Thanks for the reply....

I guess my bigger question is what will it cost to upgrade for all those people who bought their PC prior to June 1, 2012? (e.g. my Desktop is 4 years old) I'm wondering if some will have a nasty surprise either having to move to Win 8 for an as yet undisclosed fee or having to reinstall their old OS. (and I'll bet many XP users who upgraded to Win 8 Release Preview don't even have an old XP install CD? :eek: )

My guess the cost would run a bit higher then win 7. It would not surprise me if ran between 180.& 200.00. Having win 8 removed and the old os put back at most pc repair stores are not cheap. Moving on to Win 8.Maybe some. But that's hard to say. Updating my old pc witch is 4 years old to Win 7 last year was not so bad. But updating the win Xp computer. Was a headache. Even though I did a clean install. Your right most people I run across who have Xp computers don't have their disk. Most have lost their disk or Just never new what the disk was for . I have ran across this a lot of times. All in all will I update to win8. Not as long as metro is in . I am a mouse and keyboard person. I am very happy with win 7 .

I don't know that it will be that expensive. Apple just announced Mountain Lion for $20. Doubt MS wants to release their new OS for 10x that price.

You maybe right about that. It may not run that high. If it dose go lower that will be great for those who really want it.

Back