What RAM spec is suitable for upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

My desktop is approx 4 years old. Full spec attached (dump from CPU-Z).

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Optronix motherboard i845GL-W83627X (0x383 - 0x6827459E)

Dimm #1
Manufacturer (ID) SpecTek Incorporated (7F7FB5FFFFFFFFFF)
Size 512 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC2700 (166 MHz)

I bought some s/w that requires 1GB RAM to operate.

Q1 – is that DDR type still available?

Q1 – is it better to try to buy another 512MB stick or replace it with a 1GB. If so, what spec?

Or is there another approach I should consider?

Thanks for any help.

Danny

Danny56 said:
Hi all,

My desktop is approx 4 years old. Full spec attached (dump from CPU-Z).

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Optronix motherboard i845GL-W83627X (0x383 - 0x6827459E)

Dimm #1
Manufacturer (ID) SpecTek Incorporated (7F7FB5FFFFFFFFFF)
Size 512 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC2700 (166 MHz)

I bought some s/w that requires 1GB RAM to operate.

Danny56 said:
Q1 – is that DDR type still available?
Yes, it's standard DDR (184 Pin ) PC 2700 Kingston "Value RAM' is usually on manufacturers approved list and it's priced fairly.

Danny56 said:
Q1 – is it better to try to buy another 512MB stick or replace it with a 1GB. If so, what spec?
If 1 GB is your goal, just buy another 512MB stick. The board has 2 RAM sockets the second stick should go there. The only reason I would buy a 1GB stick is if I were planning to ultimately install 2GB in the board. Although the board could possibly run with an assymetric memory configuration (1/2GB in socket A0. 1GB in socket A1), it isn't a sure thing.

Danny56 said:
Or is there another approach I should consider?
Probably not, I was unable to find a manual on the "Optronix" brand board, but it's an Intel 845 chipset so most of the technical specs should transfer. These chipsets are not longer supported and the processors are not widely available. It would just be better to upgrade the memory so you can do the job you're planning, and leave it at that.

Excellent!

Thank you very much, Captain C.

I have the Optronix montherboard manual. Only one sentence worries me:
Supports DDR266/DDR333/DDR400 (only for 865G/865GV/865PE) unregistered non-ECC DDR DIMMs
It's not clear if the bit about (only for 865G/865GV/865PE) refers to all of the 266/333/400 options but for £20 I will take a gamble.

If you tell me that the 845 chipset does not support 333 then I will consider another option like buying a more modern PC.

If all is well, then:

I did a little searching online and the common offering appears to be:

512MB 184PIN DIMM DDR PC333/PC2700 NON ECC CL2.5

MPN: KVR333X64C25/512

Generally £20 approx incl VAT and delivery

Storage Capacity: 512 MB
Upgrade Type: Generic
Memory Type: DRAM
Technology: DDR SDRAM
Form Factor: DIMM 184-PIN
Module Height: (inch) 1.25
Memory Speed: 333 MHz ( PC2700 )
CAS Latency: CL2.5
Data Integrity Check: Non-ECC
RAM Features: Unbuffered
Module Configuration: 64 x 64
Supply Voltage: 2.5 V
Lead Plating: Gold

Expansion / Connectivity
Compatible Slots: 1 x memory - DIMM 184-PIN

Yes, I could spend more and opt for 2 x 1GB but I plan to retire this PC as a backup soon and invest in a newer model, so £20 fits the bill perfectly.

Many thanks for your fast and accurate response.

Danny

Seeing Double......

The 166 Mhz number you're referring is the correct speed since we're dealing with "DDR" (dual data rate). Data is exchanged twice per clock so therefore 166(.7) X 2 = 333 (Mhz) effective speed!

The only pitfall that could happen is that one stick of RAM was incompatible with the other. Intel chipsets seem to prefer "Plain Jane" DIMMs that meet standard specs. IE; An Intel board requiring DDR2 running at the stock voltage of 1.8, will be most likely to post with that, rather than a high performance, higher voltage, different timing module. That 2 different modules (manufacturers) are more likely to play nicely together, if they both meet the same standardized specs. I have 3 different brand DIMMs in my Intel 915GAG board, but the are all just standard specs, and the computer runs fine.

Non-EEC is the inexpensive non-error correcting garden variety RAM. Error correcting modules are generally confined to high performance enterprise applications

Most boards using the i845GL chipset will have two slots that accept DDR266 PC2100, DDR333 PC2700, or DDR400 PC3200 in either 512 or 1 GB modules.
DDR memory is getting old. No longer made, but a lot in storage. You should be able to find 2 modules of 1 GB each for around $27 each plus shipping (see www.directron.com, www.zipzoomfly.com, www.newegg.com, or www.kahlon.com) or the 512 MB modules for $14.00 each. I like the Buffalo brand which is first tier and will work well on your board at a very low price. Best if you use all same brand and model modules.

Where can I get its Drivers??
Please tell me!!
I have an old PC in the office which needs to be repaired!
Please someone send m the link
To which drivers are you referring? This thread is about RAM, which doesn't need any drivers whatsoever to be installed.

That board will use DDR PC266, or DDR PC333, or DDR PC400... provided all memory modules are the same. Since the Optronix is a motherboard of a failed company, and not many memory suppliers will even list it, you have to take a few things on faith...

Captain Cranky, this thread is about memory, not necessarily about drivers. e.g. the heading: What RAM spec is suitable for upgrade?

You're Preaching to the Choir.....

That board will use DDR PC266, or DDR PC333, or DDR PC400... provided all memory modules are the same. Since the Optronix is a motherboard of a failed company, and not many memory suppliers will even list it, you have to take a few things on faith...

Captain Cranky, this thread is about memory, not necessarily about drivers. e.g. the heading: What RAM spec is suitable for upgrade?

Something I'm already acutely aware of, thank you very much.
You should take this up with d@rekill4 or read the entire thread.

No
Can anyone give me the direct link of its drivers
Please my Father need the computer at his office to be repaired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back