Tech Stocking Stuffers: 18 awesome gifts under $50

What to do when circuit breaker automatically turns off a couple of times?

By Turtlewax ยท 4 replies
Oct 31, 2017
Post New Reply
  1. I was watching TV when suddenly the power went out. I checked the circuit breaker and it was turned off. I turned it on and minutes later it automatically turned off again. I did this about 5 times already. What should I do?

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 7,157   +459

Usually that means you have too many things turned on that are on that circuit. The circuit can include switches and receptacles in different rooms. Turn some lights/appliances/etc.off and see it that helps.

3. MaikuTech

MaikuTech TS Booster Posts: 229   +31

That and check and make sure one of the fuses in the circuit breaker isn't going bad.
    https://www.wikihow.com/Change-a-Circuit-Breaker
    If there is a lows or home depot close by you, go in there and ask the people in hardware and explain what is happening.

4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 9,408   +3,422

That is likely what the trouble is, if there hasn't been anything else added to load the breaker.

Breakers get old and start to have trashy contacts. When this happens the contacts start to heat up. The breaker temp sensor trips prematurely from the contracts heat instead of the current flow. In which case; you may notice that the breaker doesn't trip as quickly, when it has had time to cool down.

MaikuTech likes this.
  5. MaikuTech

MaikuTech TS Booster Posts: 229   +31

LOL yeah I know the feeling all too well by now, my mothers house has a old fuse box that needs to be replaced.
    If we have too many things on in the house, one of the fuses will go out if not take out something else.
    I've heard different storys about circuit breakers from friends and other people I run into.
    Their number one response is stay away from it if you don't know what your doing to prevent shock or blowing up something.