What would cause my monitor to not display?

bc85

Hi, I'm having some toruble with my pc and was hoping someone could give me some help. i started having toruble with my pc a few days ago. my monitor is plugged in but when i turn on my pc the monitor doesn't display. i tried unplugging and repluging the monitor and all it was do is say "no signal" on it. i have a geforce 9500gt vidoe card that has 2 different vidoe outputs. i tried both and still get nothing. i checked the pins on the plugs and they are fine. even tried the onboard video on the motherboard and at first it did work but now its not. even tried a different monitor and still get the same trouble. i even took out the video card and placed it back in and still the same. i know its not the monitor because i tried it on a different pc and it works fine. I'm thinking its my motherboard. hoping not the vidoe card. does anyone have any answers or suggestions i could try to get my pc back up?

thanks for taking the time to read my post.

There is a good chance that the graphics card is bad. Can you try it in another PC? You could try removing the graphics card and see if you can get the onboard graphics to work. If you can, then it would point to the graphics card as the problem.

Just tried without the video card and still not displaying. Starting to think it is the motherboard

Did anything happen that might have triggered this problem such as a power outage or maybe someone pulled the plug on the PC without shutting it down properly?

Not that I know of. It worked fine when I had it hooked up in my room. Moved it to the living room and that's when it started giving me trouble.

OK, you moved it. Sometimes moving a PC can loosen an internal connection. I'm not saying it did but it could have. Can you open the computer and hand check all of the cables (power and data) and double check that your graphics card and any other card you might have installed is seated firmly in its slot? When checking the data cables, don't forget to check both ends of the cable, motherboard end and device end.

I'll try that. I'll let you know if it works. Also thanks for the help your giving me, I appreciate it.

No problem. Also, I forgot to mention, be sure to ground yourself to the PC chassis frequently to avoid electrostatic discharge which can fry components.

Checked the connections even reseated the video card and made sure it was in correctly but it's still doing the same thing

Start testing your suspect parts if you can. Try your video card in another PC to eliminate it as a problem.

Have you unplug your graphic card at all during this tests of yours or moved it once? I hope you haven't moved your graphic card, for one if you have it won't display anything and even if you unplug DVI and plug it to your inboard card wont display. in last case if it keeps acting but you can sort of gamble it by unpluging your graphic card, unplug hard drive then boot up, up, if it boots reinsert your card, then HDD

boot without hard drive, flash drives, and graphic card, if it boots plug on thing back at a time.

...but what would cause the motherboard's video not to work also?
That could be a motherboard problem as you mentioned earlier. It might also be a BIOS setting that needs changing. The onboard graphics may need to be enabled. Testing the graphics card is intended to eliminate it from suspected hardware.

At this point it might help to know the brand and model of your PC if it was manufactured by a company like Dell, HP, Acer, Gateway, etc. If it is a custom built or self-built, what motherboard make and model was used?

Not able to try graphic card in other pc, doesn't have a pci express slot. Tried What p4pc said. Still wouldn't display. The pc is one I built, I just know enough to put one together. The motherboard is a xfx nforce 630i with geforce 7100 built in graphics.

Can you get into the BIOS and make sure the onboard graphics are enabled? I'm trying to eliminate or confirm what parts might be the source of the problem. It might be the motherboard but before coming to that conclusion, I would like more evidence.

Edit: I can't seem to be able to locate a manual for your motherboard so I can't help you navigate the BIOS.

My bad. You're right. I wasn't thinking. Do you have access to a spare power supply to test? Do you have a friend who has a PC you can use to test your components?

You're going to have to test some of your components some way or another, otherwise you will have to make a guess, go for it and replace some parts without knowing for sure.

I don't have a spare power supply on hand. I'll see if I can test my video card on a friend's pc.

Gunna be a few days till I can test my video card, having to wait till my friend has a day off. I could try using the power supply in the other pc to see if it gives any change.

Back