Whats with Adobe Flash Player?

Yes, this is why. IMO, concrete proof that Mozilla is a better choice as they try to keep you out of the toilet.

This also proves that Firefox does indeed phone home. Otherwise they couldn't trigger a switch like this out of the blue. Since they keep in contact with their browser and can change properties worldwide at anytime, makes you wonder what info is being transferred during this process.

This also proves that Firefox does indeed phone home. Otherwise they couldn't trigger a switch like this out of the blue. Since they keep in contact with their browser and can change properties worldwide at anytime, makes you wonder what info is being transferred during this process.
So am I stupid for allowing it or???? If so, whats a good alternative?

Personally I'm not going to worry about it. If I need it I need it regardless how Mozilla feels toward not using it. I'll only stop using it if the need goes away. As for alternatives, I'm as lost as you are. I've never considered alternatives and don't think I will start now.

What I'm wondering is why a website like Techspot (Xenforo) would be of the sites that still have use in Flash if the tech field is wanting to migrate away from it.

BINGO - - I had the same thought.

However, when one is in possession of information that is detrimental and elects to do nothing to avoid the consequences, one becomes complicit in all the subsequent results.
(hint: that's Ethics 101)

I'm sure most of us HATE the idea of phoning home software and the likelihood of nefarious activities, but given the current example of "just doing the right thing" - - I'll opt to trust that Mozilla did not fail Ethics 101 and will continue to deserve our trust (at least until they foul out badly)

Basically Mozilla has Firefox programmed to call home for updates and such. Mozilla set Firefox to disable Flash once all their browsers called home. This was a worldwide reset with the settings for Flash. All other browser makers can have their own way of doing things. Google is treating Flash differently than Mozilla at the moment.

GC is the only browser that hasn't ask me if I want to enable it. Simply confused here
That means Chrome is not sensitive to the issue, doesn't validate its add-ons and will let you "dive into the toilet." The assumption is all users are:
  1. adults and have the freedom of choice
  2. knowledgeable of all issues
  3. and will take corrective measures unprompted by anyone
Reality begs to differ

After looking through all my settings, I'm a bit upset now. I turned off automatic updates in Firefox. I'm still using 36.0.3 and 39 is available. Automatic update has an optional checkbox to ask if the update will disable any add-ons. Since I have automatic updates turned off, I don't understand how my add-ons can be disabled without at least asking. Especially with the option box available under automatic updating.

In other words: I opted to manually update but yet Mozilla is still changing my experience automatically.

YEP -- me too. I'm on v38.0.1, and use manual update yet Flash was disable today.

Should not be surprised, as 'phone-home' is never user configurable, whereas update is.
This kind of thing seeds the paranoia re "likelihood of nefarious activities".

Once a program is allowed to cross the outgoing firewall (on any port), the jig is up and you've given away the store. On that subject, the secure choice would be to run the browser on its own user-id and to not allow that id to access your %userprofile% - - This will create a read-only browser and you would never be able to upload files from %userprofile% :sigh:

It just doesn't work on other browsers. Compatibility is the issue. You'd better find an Adobe app that would be compatible with your device. Just try it.

Back