Which ATX mobo should I get to replace with my emachine mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I didnt read the guide of how to make a good post.

I have an Emachine for about 4yrs now. 2 weeks ago I turned it on and it turned right back off, I thought it was the power supply, but it wasnt. I took it to Best Buy, told me it was the motherboard. I dont want to spend money on another mother board since emachine sucks, I already spent $400 last year to get my cd drive fixed. U guys say an ATX motherboard is good and cheap, its way better than an emachine mobo. The problem is I dont know which ATX mobo(a good one) to get for my emachine. My emachine is a W350.

Please respond

For under $300 you could get a new mATX motherboard (with onboard video), 2gb DDR2, a dual core CPU, a new power supply, and Vista Home Premium.

Thanks

Thanks for all the help guys. Its complicated to do all of this and I dont really have an education when it comes to making a pc, I only know the basic.
I dont know but, is best to get a cheap computer and just add memory and ram to it?

"is best to get a cheap computer and just add memory and ram to it?..."

Memory and RAM are the same thing. I bet, if you try real hard you can find a computer savvy friend who can understand all this and rebuild your computer easily

Where would I find CPU, RAM, and PSU for a good price

Zenosincks said:
Easier? Yes. "Best"? No.

I'd replace motherboard, CPU, RAM, and PSU.

thanks
where would I find all those for a good price. I need at least a gig of ram

Tmagic650 said:
"is best to get a cheap computer and just add memory and ram to it?..."

Memory and RAM are the same thing. I bet, if you try real hard you can find a computer savvy friend who can understand all this and rebuild your computer easily

Sorry, I meant to say hard drive and ram, I get confused with those two

Don't do the motherboard. The recovery disks won't work. Start fresh with a different computer. It will be cheaper to get a Dell 530, or a Lenovo, or HP... or better yet, a SystemMax from Tiger.

That is true. There is no way to get out of it without a cost...
But do not count on a "good old copy of XP" working with the product key of eMachines... it seldom works... and Microsoft is now very difficult to talk into a product activation when it does work.

I've rebuilt many eMachines using only the original case... Activation is NEVER an issue. As far as I'm concerned, the eMachines product key doesn't exist any longer

TMagic650, we would like to know the eMachines models which were no trouble. Our shops have repaired or tossed well over 300 eMachines built after 2002, and can identify the original owners on all of them. My guess is that in 80 Percent of them, it was not possible to use the recovery disk set or the product ID. We have also had numerous conversations with Microsoft because sometimes the activation will work and sometimes it will not. Microsoft has told us on the phone and in writing many times that Windows dies with the motherboard. eMachines says the problem is the legally binding conract with Microsoft.
Do you use and OEM Windows Disk, or the expensive full version of Windows XP... which version of the 11 Windows install disc set works with the eMachines product ID? Certainly the recovery disk set does not work. Is the Windows you use 2001, 2002, No SP, SP1, or SP2?

XP Pro, SP2 OEM... I have said many times raybay, the case and maybe the hard drive are the only eMachines parts left. The hard drive has been wiped. Motherboard, memory, processor and power supply are generic Newegg parts. Activation is not an issue, because essentially it is a "new" computer

ScorpionRudy said:
Sorry I didnt read the guide of how to make a good post.

I have an Emachine for about 4yrs now. 2 weeks ago I turned it on and it turned right back off, I thought it was the power supply, but it wasnt. I took it to Best Buy, told me it was the motherboard. I dont want to spend money on another mother board since emachine sucks, I already spent $400 last year to get my cd drive fixed. U guys say an ATX motherboard is good and cheap, its way better than an emachine mobo. The problem is I dont know which ATX mobo(a good one) to get for my emachine. My emachine is a W350.

Please respond

To my knowledge, most Emachines are not ATX boards. They are MATX (MicroATX) boards, Smaller board, BIG difference. Although I've never seen an Emachine with less than 4 digits in the model number, so maybe I should have kept my mouth shut. Anybody?

If this computer is as old as I,m starting to believe it is, your best bet may be to start over with a whole new machine. This of course depends on which memory the (original) board takes and which processor socket is involved. More info, please.

Yes captaincranky,
an easy way to tell if micro or not is the number of PCI slots... 2, for micro, 3 or more for standard ATX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back