Which CPU is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtehrmo

Which is better, the Duron applebread 1.8gz or the Athlon XP 1800 1.5ghz(oc at 1.7).

They are both socket 462s by the way.

Why do you want to know? Bacause if you are planning on buying one of those, those processors are LONG outdated. Get an Athlon 64 or Core2 Duo instead.

no you can't. You can however overclock some athlon XP 2500s to 2.2ghz. I don't ever recommend overclocking at all.

alright. I guess its time to go into the socket 939 range. But im not ready to spend 180 on a mobo and processor. Besides my current mobo is new.

Or socket 775(Intel) or AM2(Succeding 939), whats your price range for a mobo/cpu? And do you prefer AMD or Intel?

i prefer AMD, and i guess i can go as far as 200 for the mobo and cpu together, which is why i want to get a 939, since they are at about $70 - $90, and get a good mobo.

939 is a good choice because the processors are still very powerful and there are ALOT of different models to choose from. Also 939 mobos have PCI-E and/or AGP8X so no matter what kind of graphics card you have, it will work with 939. (socket 462 only has support for AGP)

i would buy a a socket 775 mobo and a pentuim D. If your going to upgrade your mobo, go with socket 775 so you will have a wide choice of upgrade options in the future.

Mobo-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131565
proccesor-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116213

Im guessing your using an agp graphics card, if you decide to upgrade your system, i would reccomend a pci e mobo so you can upgrade you video card in the future...but you would have to buy a new graphics card

Socket 775 isn't really future-proof. For example, what were ther latest and greatest MoBos for 775 2 months ago are now completely worthless if you want to use Core2 Duo. Socket 775 Mobos work only for the current CPU cores avaliable and not the ones to come in the future. The reason I reccomend socket 939 is because almost every single socket 939 mobo works with every single socket 939 processor so your choice of Mobos and processors won't be limited.

not 100% sure, but i think must socket 775 mobo's are eventually going to get the correct bios for core 2 duo, but right now, its marketing. Basically forcing people to buy a new mobo if they want core 2 duo...and its working because almost every mobo that supports core 2 duo is sold out at any given time.

oh my, thats the best mobo ive seen. It supports both agp and pci e... i was looking for one of these, but i couldnt find them when i was buying my mobo.
Thanks man, im def gonna buy this.

I have that exact mobo and almost the same processor (mines a 3200+) and I say, that is a very good mobo. Very stable, very very future-proof because with an add-in card that will be made avaliable soon, the mobo can be made to suppord DDR2 and AM2 CPUs. VERY good dead since the PCI-E and AGP both run at full speed as well :p

It is, he musta made a typo..Am2 will not work on that board.

I dont think that that board and proccesor will do it. Pay the extra $50-70 and get an x2, or pentium D.

The 939Dual-SATAII has a daughter board which has an AM2 socket & DDR-II slots on it. The daughter plugs in an AGP like slot on the motherboard letting indeed use an AM2 CPU & DDR-II ram.

& no, you can't run the 939 & the AM2 CPUs at the same time. :p

The 939Dual-SATAII has a daughter board which has an AM2 socket & DDR-II slots on it. The daughter plugs in an AGP like slot on the motherboard letting indeed use an AM2 CPU & DDR-II ram.

How much does that effect the frequency?

BLAHHH don't even bother with 939, if anything get AM2. I dont see why people are even bothering with AMD though, as i've said many times. If Core 2 Duo was out when I built my comp, my computer would be flying. It is instead hindered by a single-core and a dying socket (939)...hmmmmm.

sellmesanity, i might be getting that GeiL memory that is in your sig, is it still performing good and no problems what not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back