I have an Asus AN8-E motherboard.
The power supply is ATX 425W.
+5V = 35A
+12V=18A
-5V=0.8A
-12V=1A
+3.3V=30A
5VSB=2A
(I have no idea which numbers I needed to show, so I've just listed them!)
Which nvidia cards WON'T I be able to use? (I know I can't do SLI)
I have 2 4-pin molex connectors free - If I need an external power supply, can I just use a 4 to 6 pin converter?

thanks in advance

Any AGP VGA card will work. Don't spend over $100 and increase your system memory as much as you can

No, your PSU cannot handle an 8800GT. Almost any VPU worth upgrading to is going to require a new PSU. My advice to you would be, that you set an additional $60-$80 aside for a decent PSU.

Honestly, I'm not even sure if it'd even be worth going to a 6800. I'm also not exactly sure off hand what the best card is that your PSU will support with a measly 18A on the 12V rail.

However, here is an idea; if you were willing to spend $200 on the 8800GT why not spend a chunk of cash less on an 8600GT or 9600GT and then focus the remaining capital on a new PSU?

PALiT GeForce 9600GT: $109.99 (After MIR)

ELT400AWT: $64.99 (After MIR)

Be aware that even though your motherboard does not support PCI-Express x16 2.0 the interface is backward compatible with 1.1 (according to PCI-SIG). So, the 9600GT should work fine, however, it will operate at PCI-Express x16 1.1 speeds.

If you are feeling a bit lucky and adventerous, you can try purchasing the new VPU and see if your current PSU will support it. If it won't, Newegg will have a new PSU in your hands just 1-3 days later in most situations.

The sum of the two rails is the total 12V that will be available to your system. So, that PSU has a maximum of 34A (17A + 17A) on the 12V rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back