Which iPad Model Should You Get?

If you just need media consumption, ipad 8gen. And while most people should go with Samsung for a more video-friendly 16:9 or at least 16:10 aspect ratio, if instead your focus are ebooks and pdf magazines for example the 8th gen ipad is far better with the aspect ratio.

If you want some of the pro features like access to the magic pen or the magic keyboard, you should try the ipad air. That's right: the ipad air is cheaper than the previous gen ipad pro and has mostly the same capabilities where it matters.

If you really want a better screen I still think you should just get an ipad pro 2020 model while you can and at a discount instead of the M1 ipad pro, which is just basically a weird one since once there is no options it's nice to have but the features do not justify the premium over the air unless you really want mini led yet on a tiny screen compared to a proper mini led monitor.

I'm on my third iPAd (iPad Pro 12'9 3rd gen) and if they dont relax their restrictions or allow sidealoading, I will be getting a Samsung Tab.

Yes, slower SOC and needs to be debloated, but at the very least, I can use it as I want, not as Steve Jobs zombie tells me.

Make sure whichever iPad you get has touch id.

Being stuck with face id in bed or anywhere not sitting up straight will make you a) very good at waiting for 2 failed attempts and then entering 6 digit pins and b) straight up loathe your device.

Being stuck with face id in bed or anywhere not sitting up straight will make you a) very good at waiting for 2 failed attempts and then entering 6 digit pins and b) straight up loathe your device.
Weird, that has never happened to me on my iPad Pro and I use that every single day lying down on bed.

I'm on my third iPAd (iPad Pro 12'9 3rd gen) and if they dont relax their restrictions or allow sidealoading, I will be getting a Samsung Tab.

Yes, slower SOC and needs to be debloated, but at the very least, I can use it as I want, not as Steve Jobs zombie tells me.

You can jailbreak them.... then do anything you want on them.... my 2020 iPad Pro is jailbroken and I love it!

You DO know you can disable Face ID in settings and if you really want, also disable needing a pin to unlock.... Or you can set your pin to 4-digit...

My Face ID works fine - but I have the 12", so if it's on it's side, it doesn't always see me.... not that hard to simply tap "face id" as it's trying to see me and it immediately asks for my pin instead...

You can jailbreak them.... then do anything you want on them.... my 2020 iPad Pro is jailbroken and I love it!
Last time I dealt with that was a pain, since I had to keep a constant eye on blocking updates.

I prefer to run a simple ADB command to debloat a samsung device than to keep that other fight going.

Last time I dealt with that was a pain, since I had to keep a constant eye on blocking updates.

I prefer to run a simple ADB command to debloat a samsung device than to keep that other fight going.
If you know what you’re doing, updates aren’t a problem - and most jailbreaks block them by default.

iPad with 32GB storage?! Really apple? And this is supposed to be a premium brand? In Android world no one even offers this capacity except for the sub $150 cheapest devices.

Why Samsung? You really should shop around because comparing two Android-based tablets is like comparing two Windows-based craptops. By deciding strictly on one brand, you've guaranteed yourself a bum deal. At least five years ago I bought a cheap Hipstreet Phoenix 10.1" Android tablet for about $125CAD with 64GB internal storage and an SDHC slot that could support up to another 64GB (which I did get):
hs_10dtb12a_16m_silver_01_front__58700_1_.jpg

[HEADING=1]KEY FEATURES (from their site):[/HEADING]
- 10" TFT-LCD touch screen with 1024 x 600 resolution
- Android 5.0 Lollipop operating system
- 32GB internal storage capacity
- Quad-core processor
- Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n network
- Bluetooth interface
- 2.0MP rear-facing camera
- microSD slot expands up to 32GB cards
- Multicore graphics processor
- Google Play
- Micro USB 2.0 port
- HDMI output
- Can be charged with its own 5V wire or by plugging in a USB charge wire

• I can tell you that a 10.1" screen is perfectly crystal-clear at 1024x600. I once wanted to punch a salesman who tried to tell me that I should get a 1080p tablet. I looked at him like he had three heads and asked him how the hell I was supposed to tell 1920x1080 or 1280x720 from 1024x600 on a tiny 10.1" screen. The look on his face was that of a cat who had been caught with its paws in a fishbowl.
  • raJmMNZqWUTO_2378.jpg
  • Now, I realise that this says 32GB but when I bought mine it was the 64GB with the 64GB slot which no longer seems to exist on their website. Well, last week it became apparent that the battery had bit the big one but I have an ace up my sleeve... I bought TWO! To me, tablets are just for bathroom reading anyway. So I have another five or six years worth of bathroom literature at my disposal.

My point is, I'd really hate for you to get ripped off because paying for a brand-name is almost as big a waste of money as donating to Trump's legal fund. Look at every model and do not turn your nose up at a brand you're not familiar with because these things can't be made in someone's backyard. Billions had to be invested in the means of production and labour for ANY tablet to exist. :laughing:

Last edited:
Why Samsung? You really should shop around because comparing two Android-based tablets is like comparing two Windows-based craptops. At least five years ago I bought a Hipstreet Phoenix 10.1" Android tablet for about $125CAD with 64GB internal storage and an SDHC slot that could support up to another 64GB (which I did get):
hs_10dtb12a_16m_silver_01_front__58700_1_.jpg

[HEADING=1]KEY FEATURES (from their site):[/HEADING]
- 10" TFT-LCD touch screen with 1024 x 600 resolution
- Android 5.0 Lollipop operating system
- 32GB internal storage capacity
- Quad-core processor
- Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n network
- Bluetooth interface
- 2.0MP rear-facing camera
- microSD slot expands up to 32GB cards
- Multicore graphics processor
- Google Play
- Micro USB 2.0 port
- HDMI output
  • Now, I realise that this says 32GB but when I bought mine it was the 64GB version which no longer seems to exist on their website. Well, last week it became apparent that the battery had bit the big one but I have an ace up my sleeve... I bought TWO! To me, tablets are just for bathroom reading anyway. :laughing:
Not bad.

I was looking for better SOC, since my previous tablets had really under powered SOCs and pun intended, they SUCKED. lol

So the Tab 7 has a decent enough snapdragon and I also love DeX.

Not bad.

I was looking for better SOC, since my previous tablets had really under powered SOCs and pun intended, they SUCKED. lol

So the Tab 7 has a decent enough snapdragon and I also love DeX.
Well, heh, from a computational power standpoint they're awful but, like I said, I only use tablets as bathroom literature. It doesn't take much to read a printed page or watch a YouTube video on a tablet.

I didn't mean to say "You should get THIS one!" because that would have been an act of lunacy. I was just pointing out that I bought a "cheap crap" one with a very nice-sized screen for what was essentially a song and it lasted for >5 years. I don't know of anyone who uses a tablet for anything heavy but this tablet was capable of playing games. Of course, since most Android games are, well, good time wasters but not much else, that's not saying a lot.

I just think that, for the same price as a tablet made by Scamsung, you could get one by another brand that would be even more potent, not that it matters because for what tablets are used, any tablet would do the job just fine. Now, if Scamsung gives you all of the features you want for the best price, go for it. It's at least better than Crapple.

Well, heh, from a computational power standpoint they're awful but, like I said, I only use tablets as bathroom literature. It doesn't take much to read a printed page or watch a YouTube video on a tablet.

I didn't mean to say "You should get THIS one!" because that would have been an act of lunacy. I was just pointing out that I bought a "cheap crap" one with a very nice-sized screen for what was essentially a song and it lasted for >5 years. I don't know of anyone who uses a tablet for anything heavy but this tablet was capable of playing games. Of course, since most Android games are, well, good time wasters but not much else, that's not saying a lot.

I just think that, for the same price as a tablet made by Scamsung, you could get one by another brand that would be even more potent, not that it matters because for what tablets are used, any tablet would do the job just fine. Now, if Scamsung gives you all of the features you want for the best price, go for it. It's at least better than Crapple.
I understood, no worries. :)

I am not set on any particular model or brand, I just want something that is powerful enough that it doesn't start stuttering or lagging every time I look at it wrong.

I hope you will enjoy your Samsung Tab, Apple will not relax their restrictions, those restrictions are how they provide the experience they do. They have no reason to relax restrictions the vast majority of their users don't care about them as they are not power users and don't need anything more than they already have.

I hope you will enjoy your Samsung Tab, Apple will not relax their restrictions, those restrictions are how they provide the experience they do. They have no reason to relax restrictions the vast majority of their users don't care about them as they are not power users and don't need anything more than they already have.
Yeah, it's ironic how the non-power users are the ones willing to spend a king's ransom for tech when their uses for it are far more limited.

Back