Which OS? Older laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modena

Hello all I was wondering which OS would be the best choice for my parents system. I installed XP pro on they're system but within a few months it was extremely bogged down even with constant updates and all the recommended programs.(CCleaner,Avira,Malwarebytes,etc) Any advice appreciated.

System Specs
Dell Inspiron 1200
Intel Celeron M @1.4ghz
512mb DDR SDRAM @ 333mhz
40gb HD

That system is perfect for XP, just install the service packs, anti-virus and spyware protection then be done with it. Every OS gets bogged down eventually, but there are ways to speed it back up. You could always throw Ubuntu Linux on it if your folks don't use too many Windows applications...

True, I guess they're just gonna have to take care of they're damn system better xp is where its at, thx for the advice.

I agree with ExCellR8 ... XP is the right OS. If you'd really like to get it a little speedier, you could always add another chip of 512mb RAM?

Spyder_1386 :)

Yeah I'm gonna stick with Xp for they're system. A fresh install of Xp and more RAM should work fine for them, all they do is use IE and excel. Thx for the responses.

2000 Professional would work fine too. The only real problem with it is you wouldn't have a built in firewall like you do in XP SP2+.

You are probably better off with XP just because you likely know it better than 2k, but 2k gets no love around here and it deserves some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back