Who needs RAID?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Acquired computer with K8V SE Deluxe WD 80G SATA. Had problems but finally got HDD recognized. I only have one hard drive. Do I need RAID and Promise FastTrak? Should I disable Promise in the BIOS? Can I uninstall RAID Tool? Confused

RAID is only for making a real time back up of your HDD. Unless you have vital data that you cannot replace or backup when you need to you do not need RAID installed. it only ever used to be available to major companies because they where the only ones who needed it.

andya said:
RAID is only for making a real time back up of your HDD.
RAID is not a substitute for a backup plan and implementation. Even Raid will
fail catastrophically. RAID, in particular the MIRRORed form, is to provide
fault tolerance on server systems so that the served does not crash while the
failing drive is being replaced (typically with a hot-swap capability).

andya said:
RAID is only for making a real time back up of your HDD
that's no true. There are different levels and configurations of RAID, each serving a different purpose.

as jobeard mentioned earlier, a mirrored configuration is used for fault tolerance, mainly for "mission critical" machines like servers, but many PC users do it as well

the other common configuration is a striped configuration, which improved performance by effectively doubling the read/write speed of a single drive by splitting the data up among 2 drives.

there are other configurations that increase the number of drives for greater fault tolerance or performance or both.

andya said:
it only ever used to be available to major companies because they where the only ones who needed it.
it was available to anybody who bought the necessary hardware to use it. it was designed as a cheaper alternative to expensive SCSI setups.

I run RAID 0 - or striping - but I also use two partitions - the second as a backup.... It's fairly safe, but ALWAYS backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back