Why doesn't AVG like trainers

Status
Not open for further replies.

cozzielex

I have installed trainers for number of games like call of duty (old ones), black hawk down etc but AVG tells me they are a threat. I dont get the same warnings from MBAM, defender or SAS. Does anyone know:
(a) are they a threat, and
(b) why the discrepancy.
Thanks
PS for the time being I have added them to the exceptions list in AVG resident shield.

Do you mean AVG Antivirus application detects these infections
But Malwarebytes and SUPERAntispyware (not Antivirus) don't detect anything?

I wouldn't know, as I detest AVG, but I suspect that your testing of this issue should at least be done with another Antivirus product ;)

Please upload one of the detections to Virustotal, to scan with other Antivirus products: http://www.virustotal.com/
Maybe they're viruses? ;)
But if none of the others list them as any malware at all, then report it to AVG as a false positive

I would also suggest avira anti-virus, another scanner that techspot supports.

I used to use AVG as well before I started visiting this site, and have noticed the incredible difference in the different anti-virus/malware/spyware scanners...

An AVG threat doesn't mean much. The word "threat" often means untested or typical of what an infestation does, but they are leaving it up to you to decide if it should be removed. Avira, Avast, MalwareBytes, and SuperAntiSpyware also give "threat" alerts when the the file is not in their database of bad guys.

My vote is to get rid of AVG and go with Microsoft Security Essentials (http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/). It has gotten excellent reviews, doesn't require periodic registration or bug you like the other free Anti-Virus software (note i think it does validate your windows license when it installs so make sure you have a valid copy), and is very lightweight.

Some antivirus software goes by size and file type which i'm assuming is what AVG is doing here. I personally don't like AVG either, but wouldn't put it down just because of this false report. Trainers, no-cd cracks, etc. are famous for this simply because the size is generally below 1mb and have a .exe file type. Nothing more :)

just add them to ignore list and find the path of the trainer and it wont prompt you again :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back