Win XP 32 bit Pro - Max RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deviouz

I have XP PRO 32Bit Installed on this MoBo http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=HGTVnGv5nGahCYgK
I have 2GB DDR2 RAM installed and would like to install additional RAM..

So my question is how much RAM can XP PRO 32Bit handle..??
I always thought that 2GB was the MAX limit..

But im reading here http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx that "The maximum amount of memory that can be supported on Windows XP Professional and Windows Server 2003 is also 4 GB"

Is this true i can upgrade to 4GB ram on my XP Pro setup then..??

First, a 4x1 configuration will have your BIOS set the RAM at 2T timings and increase your CAS.

Second, you have to make real sure if your motherboard is designed for the RAM you chose because ASUS boards are quite well known about being very picky about the RAM installed in each and every motherboard model they make.

Asus has created a memory vendor list for your particular motherboard. Make sure the RAM you have picked out is on that list.

* To truly use 4 gigs of RAM takes a 64-bit OS.

XP 32 bit, (any version) can only effectively utilize about 2GB of RAM. This is the limit it applies to any single program.

However, 32 bit XP > PRO < can be modified with "4 Gigabyte Tuning"; http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb613473(VS.85).aspx

keep in mind that unless you're actually running out of RAM, no performance gains will be reaped from installing more. Even if you are, you have to make allowances for the fact that the CPU won't gain any performance on its own. More RAM won't give you more clock cycles.

well im using VM-Ware Workstation on my PC and have 3 VM's constantly running simultaneously and in process explorer on my host PC it says im using 1.8GB Physical Memory..and CPU around 30%-60% and things tend to be a bit slow while im doing this..

So your saying that if i upgrade to 4GB RAM that the VM-Workstation program will only be able to utilize only 2GB MAX of it..??

What the Captain said though I have seen XP utilize up to 3 to 3.5 (how effectively is another question), but the limitation is due to the fact XP is a 32-bit OS. It won't and doesn't need 4 gigs to work effectively.

G.Skill makes excellent RAM but the question is do you really need 4 gigs?

To the best of my understanding, Windows XP , (unaltered), will not allow any single application more than 2 GB.

If it would, then why would M$ go to the trouble to publish the page about "4 Gigabyte Tuning" ? So, the page is either a hoax, or you have to implement the "3 Gigabyte Switch", as it's also called, to allow your virtual machine the use of more than 2GB of RAM.

Other than that, feel free to install as much memory as you like.

In their manual about the "Augsburg" (915) chipset, Intel also stated that you could install "8GB" in the board, (since 2GB DIMMs exist), but since the board's hardware is only 32 bit, it would still only present about 3.2 GB to the OS! So, I suppose Intel was yanking your chain there also.

OK, so if were you to install the 4GB, >> AND << apply "4 GB tuning", considering the other systems running on the machine, you would tentatively, be able to use on the order of 2.6 to 2.8GB (or thereabouts) on the VM platform.

Although, while it may be your mission statemant to have your CPU running constantly at 100%, it doesn't seem prudent. (Were that to be the case) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back