Win xp will not install on new amd system

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just built an new pc and it's has a MSI 790gx-g65 AMD 790 Socket AM3 motherboard. My CPU is a AMD Phenom ll x4 945 3.0 CPU. Ram is Corsair xms3 (2x2048) PC10600.
I have tried everything to install xp pro 32 bit OS. At first I couldn't even format the WD 500GB HD. It would freeze up on both quick format and regular format. Tried another HD that I had and it did the same thing. Took one stick of ram out and it finally did format but xp pro would only partially install and then freeze up before it got to 44%. Sometimes sooner.
Even tried Win 7 and it installed and then froze up at the first screen. I am not doing any overclocking and everything in the bios is recognized. I am at a loss as to where the problem is. Starting to think the motherboard. Can a 32 bit OS and a 64 bit CPU cause a problem?
Thanks for any help you might have.
Ken

Not at all, it has nothing to do with x86 or x64 OS.

It seems to be hardware issue, one of the probable causes in this case can be incompatible or bad RAM.

What is your system's specifications (including PSU)?
Are you using onboard VGA?

Thanks for the quick reply.
I am using the onboard VGA and the power supply is a OCZ Z Series 650w
My hard drive is a WD Caviar 500GB Serial ATA HD 7200/32MB/SATA-3G
I don't have any slots used. Just the basic internal VGA and internal audio.
I am only using the DVD and HD to start up. Very basic.
Ken

In that case, I am inclined to say your RAM is more likely candidate for this behavior. You can verify that by downloading Bootable Memtest86+ CD and running memtest for minimum of 8 passes. If you find errors, run memtest on individual modules.

As an update I switched the slot 1 with slot 2 ram and got the win xp to fully install. The system is still very unstable because I still freeze up when I try to install mother board drivers.
Will try to run the mem test you mentioned.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back