Win2k Boot Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
when
i try to boot with win2k the computer goes to the splash screen but when the progress bar is finished I get the blue screen message for a fraction of a second and the computer starts the boot up routine again.

When I try in safe mode or vga mode I then get the blue error screen with the error message visable. I have scanned for viruses and repaired any bad sectors detected.
I ran partitionmagic and checked the disk. there was error 1516 on the boot partition.
I ran chkdsk /r but it didn't help.
Is there a program or a way to fix this?
thanks

Is there a fix?
Thanks in advance for any help

Could be a hard drive problem how old is the hard drive? New or old?

Is there data on it you need if not you can try a reformat and reinstall windows. Or go and grap yourself a copy of Windows Xp and stick that on :) Hope this helps.

I second trfc4ever_aldo. The hard drive is going or has gone bad. Do not punish it further until you can get the data off. Still, it could be an infestation, defective CPU fan, bad video card, or just a lot of dirt and hair in the cpu fan or heat sink..
If it is three years old, it is time for a new hard drive anyway, and they have never been less expensive that they are now.

MGARYM said:
When I try in safe mode or vga mode I then get the blue error screen with the error message visable.

If the error message is visible at this time, make a note and post it here, we can use it to tell you what the problem is and how best to fix it.

Sorry to the other posters but I disagree with the idea that the HD is going bad.

An error 1516 during a check with PM is explained here.

Regards

But what do you think it would be?
The 1516 error applies to Windows 2000 and WNT partitions. I haven't seen that error once since SP2 came out... it rears its ugly head on four year old versions of Partition Magic... combined with W2K and WNT.

I certainly think the risk is high enough to not mess with the drive until valuable data is saved to a backup.

all data is backed up. I can read the disk if i boot with another primary and have it as "d" I can see everything.

i tried to use repair with the win 2k install disk but it said it didn't find a previously installation even thought all the files are there.

try to repair using win2k cd...

boot from cd, repair using recovery console.

select where you installed your OS (usually it'll shows c://winnt)

then on the command prompt type fixmbr

(all this if you've seen the blue screen flashing upon your eyes)

This could be one of the forms of optical drive error, or an infestation.

I have seen this many time in failed optical drives... linked to Windows stuff... it takes two components to create the error. How old is/are your optical drives.

All Connections Are Good. I Can Boot With A Different C Drive From Another Computer. No Viruses Nothing Obvious.
Fixmbr Did Not Work
Chkdsk /p Did Not Work.

Another Repair Program Reported That The Boot Partition Was Reported As 1023 But Was Actually 14335. This Is Where The Problem Is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back