Win2K3 unable to boot after installing WinXP as a dual boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

songws

Hello there,

I have a problem. I have a dual boot computer with Xp on C: and Win2k3 on D:

As my XP is behaving very weird lately, I intend to reinstall my C: again with XP again. But if I do so, my Win2K3 on D: will fail to start. I have done this experiment on a spare machine.

Does anyone know how I can reinstall XP on my C: and yet make sure that my Win2K3 still works well on my D: ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Yes. You need to restore the boot environment that was installed with Windows 2003 server. Its more up to date than the one that was installed with XP, and is capable of booting both, whereas the older XP one you now have can only boot XP and not 2003.

I believe you will be able to get round this:

Install XP.

Backup your boot.ini file.

Boot from your Windows 2003 CD and begin an installation.

After the text based stage, where the files are copied to the hard drive, STOP THE INSTALLATION BEFORE THE GRAPHICAL STAGE, AND DON'T FORMAT!!!! You can do this by booting from the Windows 2003 CD instead of the HDD.

Then, boot from the Windows 2003 CD into recovery console, and rename your old boot.ini file as the new one.

Basically, you are wanting the Windows 2003 installation program to write its boot environment to the HDD again, but not to reinstall the OS.

You get around this in future by installing OSes in the order they were released, from the oldest to the newest, so that the following would be installed in this order:

Windows 95
Windiws 98
Windows NT 4
Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows 2003

I hope this helps. Sorry if this is a little vague but its early in the morning. Post back if you still have questions, but I've encountered this problem many times and that was how I fixed it. I don't recall fixboot or fixmbr from the recovery console helping.

Hi Phantasm66,

I did what you have recommended and it works! You are da man!!!

Many thanks for your help.

Regards,
SONGWS

Can u help ME

Hai,
I am also having one problem that iam having winxp os in D:
Now iwant to format the c: itself can u help me with out using cd or floppy.

Thanks &Regards
Cb Moorthy
HCL INFOSYSTEM LTD.

Yes. You need to restore the boot environment that was installed with Windows 2003 server. Its more up to date than the one that was installed with XP, and is capable of booting both, whereas the older XP one you now have can only boot XP and not 2003.

I believe you will be able to get round this:

Install XP.

Backup your boot.ini file.

Boot from your Windows 2003 CD and begin an installation.

After the text based stage, where the files are copied to the hard drive, STOP THE INSTALLATION BEFORE THE GRAPHICAL STAGE, AND DON'T FORMAT!!!! You can do this by booting from the Windows 2003 CD instead of the HDD.

Then, boot from the Windows 2003 CD into recovery console, and rename your old boot.ini file as the new one.

Basically, you are wanting the Windows 2003 installation program to write its boot environment to the HDD again, but not to reinstall the OS.

You get around this in future by installing OSes in the order they were released, from the oldest to the newest, so that the following would be installed in this order:

Windows 95
Windiws 98
Windows NT 4
Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows 2003

I hope this helps. Sorry if this is a little vague but its early in the morning. Post back if you still have questions, but I've encountered this problem many times and that was how I fixed it. I don't recall fixboot or fixmbr from the recovery console helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back