Windows 10 available today in 190 countries, here's how to get it

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The big day has finally arrived as the consumer version of Windows 10 is now available. While many around the world will obtain Microsoft’s latest for free (for the first year) via Windows Update, the Redmond-based company is also offering a couple of other options to get Windows 10.

The first step – regardless of which method you use to get Windows 10 – would be to back up your data. If you’re dealing with mission-critical files, backing up in two different locations wouldn’t necessarily be a bad idea. Windows 10 is said to offer the smoothest installation / transition yet but you can never be too safe.

Those currently running Windows 7 or newer who “reserved” their free copy will soon be prompted to install Windows 10 -- if that hasn’t happened already. If you don’t want to wait around for Microsoft to get to you, you can simply download a 32- or 64-bit copy of Windows 10 right now.

Do note that you’ll need enough free space – at least 4GB, Microsoft says – if you want to download Windows 10 to create your own media (USB or DVD) for installation. Users installing Windows 10 for the first time will be required to enter a product key. Microsoft is even offering a media creation tool to make the process as seamless as possible.

Optionally, Windows 10 is available as a standalone purchase priced at $119 for the consumer-minded Home version and $199 for the Pro version. The OS will also be loaded on new computers sold via retail although that’s not entirely relevant today as it'll take some time for machines loaded with Windows 10 to hit stores.

While Windows 10 isn’t creating the fanfare associated with the launch of Windows 95, there’s little doubt that Microsoft is moving way more copies for the simple fact that computer use is much more widespread than it was 20 years ago. Launching in 190 countries in 111 different languages certainly helps the cause as well.

To celebrate the occasion, Microsoft has installed a large counter on its campus to help visualize how many copies have been moved. Based on the video below, Microsoft is registering roughly 16 upgrades per second although curiously enough, the clip doesn’t show the full tally.

If you're still on the fence as to whether or not you should upgrade, our recent review of Windows 10 could make that decision a bit easier. Hardware requirements are roughly the same as what was needed for its predecessor meaning most systems in use today should be fine. Both Nvidia and AMD have released new Windows 10 graphics drivers, too, for PC gamers on the upgrade process already.

Permalink to story.

How long should I allow for the dust to settle? Is there a global ISO which allows me to make sure that I get the right version (32bit v 64bit, Home v Pro, etc) on each machine?

I have older equipment with several variations of Windows 7 and Windows 8 together with some pretty old chipsets and graphics cards. I would hate to find half way into the process that I can't upgrade.

M$ has informed me my "reserved" copy is awaiting me. I'll download it while I'm sleeping which will be in about an hour, two tops, but I don't want to install it once it's finished downloading, I want to do a fresh format first and do a clean install of Win 10.
Does anyone yet know if I can download Win 10 to a thumb drive and install it a little later? Bearing in mind that I have the Windows icon on my taskbar which is telling me that it's ready to do the installation right now?

I'm downloading it right now with the media creation tool. I'm planning to do an upgrade, but can I do a clean install later if needed? I'd just use my Windows 7 key right?

This online tool is useless. Was expecting something more of a P2P, instead it did 40% in some 8 hours. I'm going to bed in an hour or so and turning PC off. I hope it will resume in the morning or I'm gonna be slightly pissed.

M$ has informed me my "reserved" copy is awaiting me. I'll download it while I'm sleeping which will be in about an hour, two tops, but I don't want to install it once it's finished downloading, I want to do a fresh format first and do a clean install of Win 10.
Does anyone yet know if I can download Win 10 to a thumb drive and install it a little later? Bearing in mind that I have the Windows icon on my taskbar which is telling me that it's ready to do the installation right now?

Yup. download it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-10-1720775893

Seems like you can't. Basically:

"If you were previously a Windows 7 or 8 user, you are eligible for a free upgrade. However, according to Microsoft, you have to upgrade an existing computer to do so. So, even if you want to do a clean install, wait for the Windows 10 update to hit your computer, then install the upgrade first. It feels like a waste of time, but it’s the only way to ensure you you get your free license. Once you’ve done so, you won’t need a key—Windows will just “know” your computer from then on, even if you erase the drive. Just skip any prompts for license keys, and after installing Windows 10 it should activate itself automatically."

Showed up on my home & laptop PC's this morning, but, I will wait AT LEAST a week or 2 before upgrading. And, both computer HDD's will be mirrored before the update.

I know, it's for US nationals, the one that not gonna be spied on by NSA, or maybe another way round?

You can clean out the softwaredistribution/download folder in the main Windows folder
and then force a WU (windows update) through a Cmd window command. Worked for me this morning. Google it, it's a tried & true method if you don't want to wait.

"If you were previously a Windows 7 or 8 user, you are eligible for a free upgrade. However, according to Microsoft, you have to upgrade an existing computer to do so. So, even if you want to do a clean install, wait for the Windows 10 update to hit your computer, then install the upgrade first. It feels like a waste of time, but it’s the only way to ensure you you get your free license. Once you’ve done so, you won’t need a key—Windows will just “know” your computer from then on, even if you erase the drive. Just skip any prompts for license keys, and after installing Windows 10 it should activate itself automatically."

Not true.
wuauclt.exe/updatenow is the command (admin mode)
Do it after cleaning out the softwaredistribution/download folder.
Did it this morning and downloaded & updated (in place upgrade) in about 30 minutes.

The N versions of windows products are missing features that you may like such as windows media player, skype, etc. I would stick to either Pro or Home depending on what you are upgrading to.

@ MoeJoe
Skidmarksdeluxe wanted to do a fresh format and install. Not an in-place update. Otherwise the steps you listed is correct if you want to update to Windows 10 right now.

The "N" thing means "Not with media player", which is for Europe and Switzerland, according to Wikipedia.

Upgraded to windows 10 today with the media creation tool, it take about an two hours for download, iso burn, and install. Everything is working good for now, did have a slight problem with the new GeForce driver had to reboot a couple of times before driver would install, for some reason the install would crash half way thru. I did the clean install instead of upgrade option.

system specs:
intel i7 4770k
asus h97 pro gamer motherboard
msi GeForce 770 gtx
16gb ram@ 1600
120gb ssd for os
2 one terabyte drives

When will microsoft change,

same hardware since vista-

yet that is another story.

I have seen cases where a 4 TB hard disk can not be used in windows 8/8.1,

what does windows 10 say for this.

another fleet of patches ?.

The Lord Saves The Day.

You can clean out the softwaredistribution/download folder in the main Windows folder
and then force a WU (windows update) through a Cmd window command. Worked for me this morning. Google it, it's a tried & true method if you don't want to wait.
Thanks man, I'll give it a shot. (y)

I like the fact of win 10 coming out in full force that will give the hackers and virus creators something new to work with and leave win 7/8/8.1 alone so ya more power to you win 10 lol

I'm pretty sure you can burn an iso using the windows media creation tool here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I successfully updated one of our systems to Windows 10 - stable so far, had to reinstall a few things though.

Question: I used the creation tool to put installation media on a USB so I can do clean installs. Can I use this USB on any other system that's eligible for the free upgrade (provided that system has the same 64 bit OS / version)?

I upgraded the day it came out and so far so good. I was used to Windows 8.1 and now I have to learn another GUI. The start menu can be customized to your liking. The changes aren't really that monumental and can be learnt but for some people it'll be a challenge. If they thought Windows 8.1 was a challenge this will be an eye opener! I don't think I'll upgrade my other systems for now. The best thing is you can revert back to your previous OS if you're not satisfied.

Back