Windows 2000 Booting Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

This is my first post to this forum, but hopefully a good one! I have a PC running win2k. A few days ago, it displayed the message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
<windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

After reading about the problem, I decided to boot the computer from my win2k CD and select to repair the windows installation from my emergency disk. Well, that took care of the message displaying, but now windows does not attempt to boot at all.

Here is the twist... I have a seagate 200GB hard drive installed on the PC via a SIIG PCI UltraATA133 controller card. Since this is the case, I had to press F6 when running the recovery CD, and insert my controller card driver floppy disk.

Since the recovery process accurately found and checked my hard drive, I figured that would fix everything. But now after rebooting, it almost seems like it is not even trying to access the hard drive to boot windows anymore. After going thru the motherboard BIOS and then the controller card BIOS, it seems like it gives up (just a blank black screen) and perhaps cannot find the hard drive.

Do I need to re-install my controller card drivers again, even though I installed them during recovery when I pressed F6 and inserted the driver disk? If so, how and where do I install them?

I can still get to the hard drive using "DOS" in win2k CD recovery console, so I know the physical connection is there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have alot of data on the hard drive, and would prefer not to lose it :)

Thanks!

Try doing a repair again, frantically hit the f6 key as before to install the drivers. This time do a fast repair and select all three options. I can't recall their names. If you can't see what i'm talking about let me know and i'll do it on a machine at work tomorrow.

Then try to boot to windows.

Thanks HoopaJoop,

I was able to hit the F6 key, and it actually prompted me to insert the controller card driver disk. So, I know it installed the driver at least temporarily (long enough for fast repair to use the hard drive).

I then selected to do the fast repair (all 3 options). The fast repair completed sucessfully (or so it says). The problem is that even after the seemingly "successful" fast repair, It still only boots to a blank screen.

Any other Ideas why this may be happening??

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back