Windows 7 boot problem

vomacka

I am having the same exact Windows 7 problem that this user had in this article...

https://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/windows-7-bsod-startup-repair-loop

I have attempted most of the suggestions in the article (None worked) except the last 3 posts at the bottom of the page. I don't know what the user (MitchellStokes) did to fix the BSOD problem?

He says....
"Ok guys. I did a lot of reading on other forums and I used Alt+F10 and then deleted the following line of text: '/NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /MININT' and then it boots. However, the only problem now is, that I have to do this every time."

However I don't know exactly what he did? What is Alt-F10? What and where is that line of text (/NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /MININT)?

Any ideas on what he is talking about?

He ends by saying that he solved the problem, but does not tell us HOW?

Unfortunately the article is more than 5 years old, but the BSOD problem is the same.

Any ideas on what he did to fix the problem?

Thanks for any and all help.

Scott

Last edited:
I forgot to mention what I have tried so far...

I tried to do a windows repair from the W7 CD. It told me that it could not fix the problem.

I tried to do a system restore. Nothing happened.

I tried to fix the MBR. Did nothing.

I tried to boot in safe mode. The system just rebooted. I could not get into safe mode.

So far the results have been the same. I keep getting the BSOD right after the Windows 7 Logo page starts. After that the system just reboots. I tried all the suggestions that were mentioned in the article. So far nothing worked.

I don't understand what the user did to fix this problem? .

Scott

Last edited:
Asus M4A87T Motherboard.
AMD Athalon II X3 455 3.3Ghz.
WD 1TB HD.
Win 7 Home Premium 64Bit. SP1.

This is a custom built desktop system.

I will try to run the Avira Rescue disk. I downloaded both the ISO and EXE files. Don't know if that will help.

However, what about my initial question in my post?

He says....
"Ok guys. I did a lot of reading on other forums and I used Alt+F10 and then deleted the following line of text: '/NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /MININT' and then it boots. However, the only problem now is, that I have to do this every time."

However I don't know exactly what he did? What is Alt-F10? What and where is that line of text (/NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /MININT)?

Scott

Hi I have no clue about your initial question. Alt-F10 does different things on different computers. It does nothing on my PC:D

If You want to follow my advise, I'll try to help you. If you want to look for other things, let me know.
I'll give you my best shot and hopefully other remembers here on TS will join us. It's Sunday night so don't hold your breath on anyone joining us.

I appreciate any help you can give me at this point. Like you said, perhaps others will reply with more info.

I will try to finish running the Avira Rescue disk in the morning. I have been at this all day and am getting tired.

To be continued...

Scott

Hi Scott! That sounds like a good idea. It's always best to start with a fresh mind on these things.;)

@holdum323 Uncertain I can help.. I am unsure what the problem is and I find trying to replicate from a 5 year old article confusing.

If OP can enter BIOS/setup and turn off "automatic restart on error", we might learn what the stop code and relevant modules are. Hopefully Scot realizes that there are more than 10 different reasons that he could be getting a BSOD on Windows start and there is only a small possibility that the article carries the answer. Booting and running a separate Anti-malware is a good start.

BlueScreenView might be a good next step if we can figure out how to get Windows to load. You use another BSOD dmp file reader - how is that?

Hi Friend! Lets start out by saying it's great working with a tech like yourself. Blue Screen View is great. I like "Who Crashed" personally.
I don't see that many BSOD in my retirement village, where I help seniors for free. I'm not even close to being a expert on BSOD.
I like the Reliability Monitor also for help with BSOD It's my pleasure working with you. Team work is good!
https://www.howtogeek.com/166911/re...windows-troubleshooting-tool-you-arent-using/
PS Let's Get-er-Done with team work my friend!

Last edited:
Hello all!

This is what my BSOD says:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer
If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A9928, 0XFFFFFFFFC000000D, 0X000000000..., 0X00000000....) {The last 2 are just zeros}"

Remember, I tried to do a system repair but it could not fix the problem.

I am still trying to run the Avira Rescue disk. Perhaps a virus damaged the Windows boot files(?).

Too be continued...

Scott

"STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A9928" indicates there is a problem accessing your HDD.

The Microsoft advice is here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...0000007b/a2276974-ee92-463d-821a-bd7733c830ac

Hopefully, you have bootable version of Avira - so you can go into BIOS/setup and make the Avira CD/flash drive the first device in boot order. Advantage of doing this is you avoid the possibly corrupt files on HDD and can get a pretty good idea of how the system is working (or not). Alternative ideas are here: https://techtalk.gfi.com/top-5-free-rescue-discs-for-your-sys-admin-toolkit/ .

Now what's going on??!

When I try to boot up with the CD file "Rescue-system.exe" it does not run. So I try to run it from a command prompt. It tells me "The subsystem needed to support the image type is not present"
The EXE file does not execute or run the program.
How do I run the .EXE file now?
I was able to run the Windows installation CD with no problems.

Also...

Something else is strange.

Before this error happened, my system was setup so that C:\ had my system/Windows files. D:\ was my CD/DVD drive and E:\ was for any removable media (USB).

Now, When I do a DIR on C:\ it says:
Volume in drive C is system reserved
Volume serial number is A845-2A5f
Directory of C\
File not found
C:\

So then I go to the D:\ drive and there are all my system/Windows files!?
E:\ is now listed as my CD/DVD drive.

This is getting weird. It's like something re-assigned the drives.

Also, when I first start command prompt it loads
X:\Windows\system32
I am assuming this is the (boot?) partition.

It would help if I could get the Avira Rescue disk to run.

To be continued...

Scott

Hi! your getting above my pay grade. Yes it would be great if you could get the Avira Rescue disk to run. Have you given any thought to the 5 live rescue disks that @Cycloid Torus suggested in his reply above? If you were infected, there is no telling the damage that was done.

When we BOOT, that drive+partition becomes the C: drive. If you see X:\Windows\system32 then
  1. where did the X: drive come from
  2. it's not typical to find \windows\system32 other than a boot partition
so with everything else going on, I would question the configuration as being massively hacked.

Have you attempted booting Safe Mode; strike F8 1/second until you get a B&W screen, go to safe mode and login (if possible) as the administrator.

I have tried to boot into safe mode, but it did nothing and the system just re-booted to the BSOD.
I will look into those 5 rescue disks mentioned above. I am beginning to think that I got whacked with a boot virus.

Scott

I have tried to boot into safe mode, but it did nothing and the system just re-booted to the BSOD.
I will look into those 5 rescue disks mentioned above. I am beginning to think that I got whacked with a boot virus.

Scott
If true, be sure to reformat the HD before attempting any repair/recovery. A virus in the UEFI or Legacy MBR would survive anything else

Back