Windows 7 will ship without IE in the EU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Microsoft has announced today that its latest version of Windows won't include Internet Explorer in the EU. Their decision to yank IE comes just before the European Commission is due to rule on the pending antitrust suit. According to a company memo, Microsoft’s actions are an attempt to ensure compliance with European law.

Throughout the recent antitrust debacle, Opera, Mozilla and Google have complained that bundling IE with Windows is harmful to competition. This is obviously debatable, to say the least. In the very market being questioned, Firefox 3 held 35% versus IE7’s 34%, for starters. Microsoft also took a step in the right direction by permitting the removal of IE8 in Windows 7.

Naturally Redmond has defended its browser up until this point, calling it an integral part of the operating system, but I guess this time they rather take a preemptive move to avoid big fines. Computer vendors are still likely to pre-install IE8 or at least one other browser before distribution; but European users upgrading to a browser-less Windows 7 will have to deal with the additional steps and inconvenience of downloading their preferred browser from a separate machine or previous Windows installation.

Permalink to story.

You know, I hope Microsoft does everything it can to direct people to download Internet Explorer 8 as this is crap. They should also make them strip it of Windows Defender for obvious reasons.

Oh and they should also tell Apple to stop packing OSX with Safari.

Drama over having to download and install a browser, give me a break.
IE has sucked for a long time, if I have to use it, I use Green Browser (freeware mod).
Safari 4.0 is very fast, but sites like Pogo don't currently work with it, ditto for Chrome.
Opera 10 beta is pretty slick!
Firefox 3.5 is OK, getting a little slow in comparison.
Try them all, stick with your favorite.

Jibberish18 said:
Oh and they should also tell Apple to stop packing OSX with Safari.

Yet seeing as how Apple is a proprietary entity, I don't quite think that will happen. They aren't subject to the same anti-trust lawsuits that microsoft is.

So how will Europeans use Windows Update to install security updates without IE? Will Microsoft change the update site so browsers other than Internet Explorer will work because that's not the case now?

windows update already works in vista without using IE as such. you dont go to a webpage like in windows xp.

in theory if silverlight is truly cross-browser compatible, MS will just concentrate on making the Microsoft site use that and let people get on with it.

Personally I will still download internet explorer. I dont use it now as home as I use Firefox but I dont have a massive issue using it and sometimes its useful to test pages or access incompatible sites. Sometimes its useful to just run a website "vanilla" rather than the anti scripting/flash tools that i have installed in firefox.

I wonder how Microsoft will get the browser out to people without web access. Some programs will rely on a web browser and if the OS doesnt come installed with one, how do you get one on there anyway..

in fact... how does anyone get one on there unless they already have a copy of a browser on disk?

yukka said:

in fact... how does anyone get one on there unless they already have a copy of a browser on disk?

Quoted for stupidity. This was mentioned in the article.

By the way, I downloaded safari 4 today and it doesnt have the funky fonts and smoothness that appear on my macbook. Thats the only reason i would use it above firefox but it just uses standard fonts and no smoothing. Pretty much binned for me.

So how will Europeans use Windows Update to install security updates without IE? Will Microsoft change the update site so browsers other than Internet Explorer will work because that's not the case now?
If you download the FF add-on IETab [https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419] you can access the update page without using IE. Works in XP and 7. There is also an icon on the bottom of the FF window that allows you to change to the IE view and back to FF for any web site. There is no longer any reason to use IE in XP anymore. I use it in 7 as well. It's just easier to access the update page from a bookmark than navigating through the garbage that is 7's start menu. (actually after spending several hours figuring where everything on the start menu was stored, I've managed to get it to where I don't consider it as garbage anymore).

Surely just making it removable is enough? Having to have another comp to download a browser separately is going to be a pain for some people. Also removing IE doesn't really make other browsers more available if people want an alternate browser they will get one. I'm no IE fan but this is going too far in my opinion.

Quoted for stupidity. This was mentioned in the article.
Props for making fun of yourself, but it is a bit unclear - in the TS one it indicates you need another PC. In the original article its even less clear, but maybe indicates they'll provide it on CD for you.

Doing that though is just a huge pain in the ***, I hope the EU decision makers have to deal with this personally. As has been said, just make it removable, needing to install IE to dl another browser, or needing to have another browser on disk or flash drive is just a big inconvenience.

Well, if I was a retailer I'd offer a free 2GB flash drive with each purchase loaded with all the popular freeware browsers. Kind of like a toy with your happymeal! Then I'd be sued by the EU commissioners for unfair sales tactics. :rolleyes:

it would be most logical to have an option while installing/upgrading to win 7 if you want to install IE or not.

So how are you goin to access the web? How are you going to download firefox if you want that without a web browser? Are they going to include a ftp client? (besides textbased version). IE you will of course get with windows update, but if you dont want to use that at all, how are you going to solve that?? .. Firefox and others complaints hare rediculus, the EU ruling is insane. So if i make an OS, i can include my products??? How come Linux ships with mozilla? How can that be allowed? ... I dont care if people like IE or not, but forcing a company to remove one of their products from one of theit other products is hardly sane. If you dont like IE, dont use it...but with IE you can easy get another browse, hardly damages firefox, it rather improves their chanses instead. ...I know a lot of our customers that hardly know how to turn on a computer will get big problems with this decision to exclude IE. ...they usually understand how to use IE to get firefox...but now?

awww yes... nerdy guys on youtube complaining.. no bashing windows vista.

tell me something Mr. "i use for normal daily use"

do you have a screen saver that DOESNT work due to the Microsoft wireless mouse issue (MS admits in their knowledge base website that there is no work around for this which includes MS wireless mouse, AND logictec wireless mouse causing screensavers not to work... look it up) AND do you have to manually hit ctrl alt shift at user login and manually run "explorer.exe" just to get your start menu, desktop background and icons to show (another known bug that MS claims to have a fix but doesnt fix the problem at all. Infact doing a google search on this subject comes up with over a million results a month ago)?

I can tell you that I use my HP vista laptop for "normal" use such as internet... and that's it. Nothing was installed on the computer just the normal HP crap (which really is pretty decent now days compared to my 2005 hp laptop).

Oh and lets not forget I can't view anything in full screen.

Yea... Vista sucks, and im not even close to being like the nerds on youtube bashing vista.

If computerworld.com is saying 7 is all that plus a bag of beans, then im game.... BUT like all OS's i'll wait a good year or two before buying the upgrade for my selfbuilt desktop. As for the laptop, i'll plead to HP to give me the upgrade from vista 64bit to 7 64bit.

I don't totally agree with this. Windows 7 installation should include an advanced button where a user can pre install a browser from Windows Update. There should be a list of all major browsers including:

Internet Explorer,
Mozilla Firefox,
Google Chrome,
Safari,
Opera.

When the user selects an option or selects many options, the installer should detect internet connection and connects with Windows Update. From there the latest version of the selected browsers will be installed. Upon Windows 7 setup is complete you should have all the selected browsers already installed on the system.

That is a major step forward that Microsoft should include in the installation of Windows 7.
I hope this suggestion is heard from all Microsoft related staff.

Updates in Vista and newer Windowses use a separate Windows Update application, it doesn't need IE.

Maybe they will ship a second disk with internet explorer on it, or maybe it will come in a separate directory on the windows 7 disk.

If Opera and every other browser manufacturer want to dispute that or complain, let them stick their browser on disks and send them to MS to be packaged and sent out with Windows 7 as well.

Macs ship with Safari. At least IE should be an option.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8096701.stm

BBC are reporting that Microsoft will make it easy to get IE. Probably as an easy option via Windows Update. This assumes the broadband connection that you have is already configured on the old router :)

I agree that IE sucks compared to other browsers. Web development has been one of my hobbies and IE was always the thorn in my side.

But you have to keep people in mind who don't want to have to think about this stuff, and just want it to "go". There are a lot of people who will buy Windows 7 just wanting it to plug and play who will now have to deal with downloading a browser without using a browser, adding unnecessary stress, and probably resulting in a glut of helpdesk calls. This isn't a positive step. :p

OEMs are still free to bundle whichever browser(s) they want, so people who buy PCs (as opposed to buying individual components and assembling them by themselves) are likely to get a browser out of the box.

Misleading statistics!
"Firefox 3 held 35% versus IE7’s 34%", and what about IE8 and IE6. If your comparing market share than kindly include all IE versions (IE6 still seems to be quite widespread) and don't pick numbers that support your argument and omit the ones that don't

Hi all, first sorry for my bad english.
I agree with a lot of comment on this website, but i just want add something that is not (Why ???) mentioned in this article.

UE NEVER ask/oblige/suggest/... Microsoft to remove IE8 from Windows7. UE want a news features in W7 : they want possibility for user to choose their browser, exactly like a Guest was saying.
And microsoft say he will not introduce a new web browser, he prefer remove IE8.

So, that is not UE who whant to remove IE8 from windows but Microsoft, because they dont want insert new web browser in their OS.
And for information, UE not agree with the decision of Microsoft to remove IE8, they will give their decision later.

That's the point. It's Microsoft giving the EU the finger. I'll take my ball and go home then.

Personally, I love the decision.

i agree with euoropians, because the ie is bad and slow, and have a lot of problems
thats my comment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back