Windows 8.1 Update 1 launches April 8, Start Menu returns in later update

Scorpus

Staff member

At Microsoft's Build 2014 developer conference in San Francisco, the company announced that the next update to Windows will launch on April 8. Windows 8.1 Update 1 is largely geared towards mouse and keyboard users through a range of tweaks and improvements, and from April 8 - Microsoft's usual Patch Tuesday for the month - you'll be able to download it through Windows Update.

Update 1 already leaked through Windows Update last month, giving users a way to try out the features ahead of schedule. The update will bring dedicated power and search buttons to the Start screen, new right-click context menus for desktop users, and the ability to pin Modern apps to the taskbar. Inside Modern apps, you'll also find a title bar and the taskbar if you mouse to either the top or bottom of the screen, making it easier to switch between and close Modern apps.

Microsoft is also reducing the minimum hardware requirements to run Windows 8.1 thanks to code optimizations in Update 1. Previously devices required at least 2 GB of RAM to run the OS, but Microsoft has reduce this to 1 GB alongside a storage requirement reduction to 16 GB. The changes in requirements mostly benefit OEMs, who can now build even cheaper Windows-powered devices.

windows update start menu microsoft windows 8 start windows 8.1 update 1 build 2014

In other news, Microsoft provided a sneak peak at a future update to Windows 8.1 that will bring back the Start Menu. Pictured above is a prototype version of the Start Menu that will be seen in the update, showing a mash-up of the Windows 7-style desktop apps list with the Windows 8 Start Screen's Live Tiles.

The update will also bring the ability to run Modern apps in windows on the desktop, as shown through the same demonstration. Neither of these features will be available in Windows 8.1 Update 1, but Microsoft says it will come in an update sometime later this year.

Permalink to story.

Interesting how MS tried to revamp Windows and is now back to square 1, bringing back the start menu. I hope the industry learns that killing off something that is practical and loved is not a good idea.

I like the idea of having live tiles on the start menu. This should have been in Windows 8 from day one.

Now who was it predicting the future and suggesting the Start Menu was gone forever?

They incorporated those ugly godd-amn squares, but I will take it as progress. At least now it won't be quite so alien, out of the box. I still think they can do their menu (whether it be start screen or menu) without those color coded squares.

The start menu is back! I wonder how MS would react if sales would not go up for windows 8/8.1/8.1 update 1. and the windows h8ters bandwagon next move is...?

The start menu is back! I wonder how MS would react if sales would not go up for windows 8/8.1/8.1 update 1. and the windows h8ters bandwagon next move is...?
They will find a problem with it, trust me.
Interesting how MS tried to revamp Windows and is now back to square 1, bringing back the start menu. I hope the industry learns that killing off something that is practical and loved is not a good idea.

I like the idea of having live tiles on the start menu. This should have been in Windows 8 from day one.
Probably should not have been gone in the first place, but it was an attempt to move forward faster but they essentially jumped the gun.

Can't wait for this option, will be cool!

the windows h8ters bandwagon next move is...?
They will find a problem with it, trust me.
Start Menu was only part of my complaint. My main complaint this whole time was "window frame transparency". I don't have to look for a complaint, it seems my original complaint still holds.

I didn't see any sense in buying an OS for $100, of which nearly every built-in application needs replacing with third party applications before I would be happy with it. Makes me wonder what they are thinking when they can't create one built-in application worth my time. Especially when free-ware applications are usually sufficient in satisfying my needs/wants.

What's really funny to me is being labeled as a "Windows H8ter", when I found nothing in Windows 7 worth my time consecutively complaining.

BTW: I'm still waiting on Win7 SP2. I meant what I said. MS will not get another cent from me unless they put out SP2. Yeah, yeah, I know I'm only one person and MS doesn't care about the wishes of just one person. I have faith though that corporate will force MS to consolidate all their updates.

How is it considered "desktop friendly" when the "restored" Start Menu is nothing but a reformatted version of the universally loathed Metro UI Start Menu? Microsoft is completely insane. Their first attempt at "restoring" the start menu was just a button that took you back to the dreadful Metro UI. Now the second attempt is just a minature version of Metro UI. I wonder who they think they are kidding? Certainly not their bread and butter enterprise and SMB customers. If anything, these pretend-restorations just continue to demonstrate the utter contempt that Microsoft has for their fleeing customers.

HURRRRRAY!! Looking forward to this update. Always been a huge MS fan, but felt they really dropped the ball for PC users with Windows 8. Sure, you can make it all work in W8, but it's a hassle to re-learn something that wasn't broken to begin with.

How is it considered "desktop friendly" when the "restored" Start Menu is nothing but a reformatted version of the universally loathed Metro UI Start Menu? Microsoft is completely insane. Their first attempt at "restoring" the start menu was just a button that took you back to the dreadful Metro UI. Now the second attempt is just a minature version of Metro UI. I wonder who they think they are kidding? Certainly not their bread and butter enterprise and SMB customers. If anything, these pretend-restorations just continue to demonstrate the utter contempt that Microsoft has for their fleeing customers.

How many articles are you going to post this same comment on.

I may be the only one thinking this - is there a way to stick with the current metro UI?

Some good things here though, how the smaller footprint for cheaper devices works though I would like to see in a real world scenario. I can only imagine after a year a 40GB HDD will be clogged with updates etc.

"...making it easier to switch between and close Modern apps." Well now! This should never happen, this sentence. To think that there would be a system (and a "desktop" Windows to boot) on which there will be trouble closing apps... I mean programs, my bad. Or are there "apps" in W8?

Wow will surely go for win 8 after that start button update that looks cool even looking cooler than win 7
why didn't microsoft did that before

Well.. Ok.. but still NOPE.

METRO have to completely go away.
There is no place for ultra ugly flat interface in nowdays.
I am looking forward for fully customising beautiful UI based on DirectX 12.

Finally I will be able to click Start > Shut down. I am much happier now, once this update comes out and it's good enough (I have 8.1 on my work laptop) I will upgrade my main computers at home and when someone comes to me with a build order I'll recommend 8.1 over 7.

Thanks MS for making some progress and proving you are actually listening.

I'm starting to like the new head of Microsoft, since he's been in you have released Office for iPad and given us a glimpse of hope for the beloved start menu.

Next thing is SP2 for Windows 7 and to confirm if DX12 will work on Win7/8.1 and won't be exclusive to the next version of Windows.

Please Dot net get fixed also as its the most problematic on 2.0 and 3.5 as some of the applications rely on it.

What do you mean by get fixed? You have to install them from Add or remove Windows Features but in my experience once that's done they work fine?

What this says to me is... This must have come from the top

Microsoft appears to have gotten the right CEO this time...

Have Windows 8.1 stable now, and this added feature will be a plus on my end too. Can't wait for the update which would be much welcome. Still the dual monitors to the left of me coming in with the tiles is Windows 8.1 - 64-bit and to my right is Windows 7 - 64-bit which I am typing to now on. I got to have both can't just use the one though. Lol!

"modern apps" on a desktop is a joke.

They lack 1000's of features! The mail app compared to MS's own "live mail" program is so barebones the only thing it can do is send and recieve email, no sorting, no folders, no settings at all just email like we had it in the 80's.

The desktop is NOT a tablet and we don't want tablet apps.

This update proves how silly windows 8 is. I hope they are quick with the start menu update...

What Start Menu? Does not the term "later update" really mean Windows 9.

Is it really necessary to polarize the debate to two extremes, like Windows 8 is the best and if you disagree you are a hater? There is a lot of space in between there.

Back