"Windows cannot access the specified..." when attempting to install a program

Whenever I try to install the popular live-communication program Ventrilo, I receive the ever-present "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item".

I am the owner of this computer, and, as far as I know, I have all of the required permissions.

Edit: I am running a Windows Vista, I am not sure what service pack level I have, as far as the updates go, I may not have downloaded them all, I am about to, and when I am done, I will report back with the results.

LookinAround

not sure that i know the answer to your question... but still pls indicate which version of Windows you're running and which service pack level? are all windows updates installed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ugh, apparently it's Service Pack 1.

Also, I attempted to run a system restore and it didn't complete successfully, I tried it again with a different restore point an it still didn't work.

LookinAround

Do you have your Vista installation disks? Or did your system supplier (e.g. Dell or HP?) put a recovery partition on your hard drive?

As, since system restore didn't work (and i'll guess you have no system backups?) i'd think next best attempts
1) Do a Repair Install of your current Vista SP1 then followed by
2) Installing Vista SP2

But as to doing a Repair install, is where you'd need either your installation disks and/or a recovery partition on your hard drive

/* EDIT */
ALSO:
> Your userid DOES have admin rights, yes?
> What file or path is Vista actually complaining about? Does it say along with the error message?
> Also see here for other possible hints

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
UAC is disabled, I did that eons ago.

To looking, I am the owner of this computer, my account is the only one on it.

The error complains about the following: C:\Windows\system32\MSIEXEC.exe.