Windows not starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Logical_Man

Hello everyone, I’m having a major problem with my computer, just wondering if anyone can help?

Currently, the computer starts as normally but when it reaches the Windows XP sign-in screen a blue screen flashes very quickly before the computer shuts down and restarts. There isn’t enough time to view what is shown on the blue screen. Currently I have exchanged the RAM, Hard Drive and CPU, none of which has made a difference.

My computer spec,

Motherboard - A7N8X Deluxe with an Athlon XP 2800 +
1GB RAM
550 watt PSU
1 IDE hard drive
1 DVD drive

Any help would be much appreciated.

TLM

You could try booting into safe mode (F8). If you have any luck with this, right click "my computer" > "properties" then on "advanced" tab, click "startup and recovery" then on "settings" button. Uncheck "automatically restart" this will give you the nature of the problem as you will have time to read the BSOD.

If you can get as far as the safe mode menu screen, you also could try the "boot into last known good" option.

Can you boot the machine into the BIOS?

Have you done any updates or new installs recently before this happened? Changed any configs?

More than likely you can boot into safe mode as mentioned above me...if you have it enabled use system restore and go back before the problem was happening...and problem solved. Or if you know that you installed or changed something uninstall or undo the changes in safe mood..reboot in normal mode and that should do it as well.

Start -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore

And then restore to an earlier time.

If it still does it..i would try running memtest to check your memory.

Hi there,

I have tried booting into safe mode as well as last good config, both suffered the same problem. I can get into the BIOS but i don't believe there were any settings changed recently.

TLM

It seems like it might be time for a repair reinstall of Windows.

If the memory were bad, the machine probably wouldn't POST. But, who knows. You might try "Memtest86" available here; http://www.memtest86.com/download.html
Download the file and have it burned as as an "image file" (It's an ISO file). It has MS-DOS as the boot agent, so it would work regardless of what the comp is doing elsewhere.

Hiya,

I just started to have this porblem as well. I had recently installed a graphics card. It was working just fine until the game i was playing turned all black but i could still hear the sound and all, so i just decided to restart my comp. Now im facing the same problem The_Logical_man is facing i have tried F8 and all the modes in safe mode.When windows xp is loading a blue screen flickers and makes my comp restart. I wouldnt mind loosing all my files through reinstalling windows but it gets stuck when im trying to repair it or reinstall

My comp's specs are:

AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core processor 3800+
Cpu speed: 2000MhZ
Cache ram: 512KBx2

HP Pavilion A1600n

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back