Windows Server 2003 VPN Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

zynizen

Hi, I have a problem with windows small business server 2003 and the built in VPN. I have setup everything properly a while ago, and now all of a sudden, nobody can connect to the server. I can RDP into it no problem, and check server status and RRAS setup, but the problem lies in connecting to it.

The only thing I ran, was the windows file permission checker, scandisk /s or whatever for system files. If there is anything else I can check to let me know how to troubleshoot this vpn issue, please let me know!

Thanks for any help!

hey if you are stll having problems being unable to establish a remote access VPN connection. The user account used by the remote access client could be locked out, expired, disabled, or the time the connection is being made does not correspond to the configured logon hours. Try to modify the account properties of the user account. Also this link may help
Here

Ok, I verified all those settings and the remote user can now connect, but now the access to the shared folders is unaccessable. The user can connect no problem, but cannot browse the shared drives. what would cause this issue?

I've done the following:

- removed spyware
- cleaned registry
- ipconfig /flushdns
- cleaned prefetch/memory dump
- reconfigured vpn connection using windows client
- connected internally no problem, tested OK.
- removed un-necessary programs, cleaned registry AGAIN.
- rebooted, and tested internally OK.
- remapped network drives, still unable to connect to shares.

any suggestions?

yeh those haven't changed at all, and it was working before all this happened. I checked again, and still, everything is ok, and they have access.

I won't be able to get the user to check until later tonight, as he's away right now, but once he reports to me, I will certainly let you know whats going on.

thanks for your help so far.

Ok, client still has same issue. Can connect, but cannot view shares. Like you have suggested, all file access settings on the server are checked off, and should work, I really think its a problem with the client's machine. something is preventing him from accessing them. unfortunately I haven't gotten a word back as to any error messages, so I cannot go too far into the problem, but, would it be anything to do with the windows built in file sharing module/windows firewall or something?

the only thing he said he did in the last couple weeks was install new drivers for his laser printer.

thanks

UPDATE:

Still cannot browse mapped shares. When remote user is in the office logged into the server, can browse no problem, when user goes home, cannot browse shares.

I created a vpn connection for myself aswell as a new user account with all correct vpn and remote access settings, and I cannot browse shares either.

I checked all firewall, port forwarding, event logs, cleaned registry, checked actual shares to make sure remote access users group is in allowed list, and still no luck.

any other issues that anyone can think of? I'm pretty much ready to give up. :(

Thanks....

I've got Domain Users allowed, and RAS & IAS Servers allowed with the remote user in the RAS group. Basic settings really.. nothing spectacular, but the key here was it WAS working properly a couple weeks ago, and I didn't change anything. Nobody else has access to this server.

full permissions for administrators,
read/write for users on the shared folder.

again, security, is as stated above.

thanks!

Are you on domain or workgroup?
Are you running DNS and Active Directory?
Most VPN problems are in Active Directory where there is a table for dial-up or remote users. Should be a 3 tabs for VPN you might have disabled. We had the same issue here I figured why they user couldn't see her network shared folders when she tried to login through VPN and then her laptop would crashed.

Active Directory and DNS.

You mean the dial-in tab of the user account in AD? I have everything enabled, but to follow up with this issue, i've discovered this:

I've solved part of the problem by replicating the actions onto my laptop.
I can connect to the server remotely via windows VPN connection.
I can browse the shared directories while having the security software/firewall installed and actively protecting my computer.
I did NOT change any settings in AD, or the Server, except clean it up again using CCcleaner (registry fix, temp cleaner, etc..)

The ONLY thing left to do is like you said... figuring out why the remote user cannot browse the shares. If i can, and I've duplicated his scenario, he should be able to browse the shares I think.

would flushing DNS resolver do anything? or possibly a winsock fix or something else related to windows file sharing or networking connections?

we're running Windows XP, SP2, with CA internet Security Suite, 2007. all connections to the specific sites are listed as safe zone, ex: PPTP, and the Wifi adapter when he is at home, and the NIC at the office.

Thanks again, maybe you could point me into the right direction your talking about..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back