/Windows/System32/Config/System corrupt + XP Recovery not finding HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
After trying to install theme XP in the first 5 minutes of my new computer, it would not re-start.
At first the errors would say that some .dll file was stopping rundll32+explorer.exe and everything else to start up.. i have a norton ghost cd that came with the new computer. (On cd: "CD contains Symantec Recovery Disc")

I ran the tests on my C: through symantec, and restarted, only to get a different error, even earlier in the startup-
"Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\"

I put in my old computer's XP install CD (new one didn't come with one, and i also downloaded the 6x3.5" floppy boot discs) to attempt to use the recovery tool, which neither attempt found my HD..

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your system. "

it's very aggrivating, because i know it's working properly since i can browse my entire HD through the Symantec recovery program.. i did not touch the tower myself, and i know it was working properly before the theme program install

Please help

I can't install fresh xp's either

Assuming you have one HDD, if your WinXP Installation CD and the WinXP Boot Disk Set cannot see that HDD, it could mean it is isolated by either a bad connection, or the drive controller is not working, or the MOBO has a problem.

The error message you were getting from the Symantec Recovery Disk would seem to indicate that you have a corrupted or damaged boot sector of the HDD.

Since the WinXP Installation CD cannot see the HDD, you cannot use the Recovery Console. I am not familiar with the Symantec Recovery Disk, can you run commands like chkdsk, fixmbr and bootcfg from that disk? If so I would try to repair the boot sector of the HDD. But first you should open up the case and check the cables and connector's seating between the MOBO and the HDD, and look at the MOBO to see if any capacitors are blown in and around where the HDD cable is connected to the MOBO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back