windows update does not detect my os - firewall to blame?

Status
Not open for further replies.

conradguerrero

I have usedwindows update regularly to check for microsoft product updates. After I updated my firewall, the windows update web site does not detect my system, it says, "you must be using a windows operating system to access this page"

So I think it's my updated firewall, I closed all programs except for systray and explorer, then logged on to the internet ... the browser takes a long time to connect and when it finally does I can't load any web site.

the firewall is:
Sygate Personal Firewall Pro 5.0 build 1150s
and I'm running windows 98 se.

If your firewall blocks ports, then it definitely would be the problem.

Just disable your firewall and run Windows Update.

My ISP blocks every port except HTTP, FTP, 7000 and 14000, and I can't run instant messaging, Windows Update, multiplayer games, or anything of that sort...except IRC via 7000 :D

It may also be that your firewall is "protecting" you from malicious ActiveX, JavaScript, Java, etc...

I bet you can change that in the firewall's configuration.

Norton's firewall used to disable Windows Update. I created an exception for that, and now I'm using Kerio for a firewall.

EDIT: never mind. I didn't realize this post is 5 years old.

kitty500cat said:
I created an exception for that, and now I'm using Kerio for a firewall.

Hi kitty500cat,

could you maybe still tell me how that setting looked like? :)

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Christian

I'm not actually sure how to create an exception, since I'm no longer using Norton. What I suggest is either to disable Norton when trying to update, or simply disable Norton's firewall permanently and use another, like either the ZoneAlarm or Sunbelt firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back