Window's Vista: Can't log in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need Help With Vista.

I am new to this forum, so sorry if the format or placing of this thread is wrong.

So that having been said, I'm having a problem with Windows Vista... big surprise.

I am using the HP Pavilion dv6000, it is running Windows Vista Home Premium.

I turn the computer on and everything loads fine, I even get to the log in screen and am able to type in my password and sign into that user. Thats where the problem starts. It wont do anything after that. The screen comes up pure black, there is no start menu or bottom bar.

The only thing that pops up is a window with the my documents folder on the screen. I can navigate through anything that can be accessed through my computer. I have a lot of important files on this computer, I could back them up but want to see if there is an easier way. If not I need someone to let me know how to format/restore windows vista if you didnt get a cd with the computer.

The computer's system restore was not on, but it does have the origional HP drive that has the origional settings for the computer but I cant get it to install it through that.

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, in case this will help. The night before I uninstalled a game, the origional microsoft office trial that came with the system, and another older file i got from school called the sky. When I uninstalled the sky it popped up an error message that asked me if I was sure I wanted to install these files cause they were shared with other programs, I said yes because I didnt think it would be a problem since it was a really old program.

Hope this was enough information.

I tried to call up Microsoft customer support and use their live chat.. but it wont register my Key... I know its a legal version could there be a reason for this?

I don't know the answer to your problem. But I do know those symptoms aren't something you'd see with an illegal copy.

Figured it out

I finally figured it out, for those of you who ever have this problem its caused by a corrupted explorer.exe file

the solution is to start the computer and log in

then open up task manager shut down explorer.exe and the desktop manager.

Back up your files.

Run the Recovery manager from the start menu...

if you can restore to factory defaults

The main problem was that I had important files on the computer, so for any of you who have this problem and need to recover files these instructions are for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back