Windows Vista corrupt file window\tracing\raps\RASPLAP.LOG

Hello, I have windows vista on my laptop and the last 3 days i am getting this error:

The file or directory C:\Windows\tracing\RASPLAP.LOG is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.

This prevents the laptop from going to sleep mode or even on startup windows takes ages to open and then i get to a dos screen where it starts checking the whole C: disk and after i cancel the scanning i am getting this popup file on login screen. The title of the popup window is "loginui.exe".

This really is bugging me because i basically have to leave my laptop open all the time otherwise it takes too much time to do anything:(

Thanks in advance.

The PC is telling you there is a problem and what to do so you need to run chkdsk.

Click on Start, then type cmd in the Search box and then right click on cmd in the pop up window.

Select "Run AS Administrator" and the command prompt will open.

Type this: chkdsk /r (make sure you include the gap before the /) hit Enter.

You will get a message asking if you want to run the disk check at next boot answer "Y" and hit Enter.

Then reboot the PC and disk check will start to run automatically. This can take a long time, over an hour in some cases, depending on the size of the drive.

The results and progress will be displayed on screen so keep an eye on it to see if any errors are reported. The disk check will repair any bad sectors and move the data. This also stops the bad sectors from being used again by the operating system. If the disk check appears to have stopped midway, this is normal, so let it run to completion without interfering.

Following that I would run sfc /scannow from the command prompt (get to the command prompt the same way as above for chkdsk) this will repair any damaged system files.

With a warning appearing to run chkdsk this might be early signs that your hard drive is failing so back up all your important files just in case.

Back