Windows Vista Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Laptop doesn't work Like new no more I want to know can I use a different windows vista disk to reinstall with my product key or will the activation not work right

it's starting to work slow and some programs from acer java sliverlight won't install at all so I want to reinstall but I can't find the recovery disk and wanted to uae a friend's but not sure of the activation process

Yes it should be fine. Although your computer may have came with a recovery partition which can be used to format and reinstall Vista (usually you'd have to press an F-key at startup). While formatting and reinstalling Windows is the best way to make your laptop work like new again, you may prefer just to fix up your current installation.

1. Disable Startup Programs
Start > Run (or Windows Key+R)
Type 'msconfig' without the quotes
Press Enter
Go to the Statup tab
You can literally uncheck everything, you can always come back to check off programs you want to start.

2. Disable Unneeded Services
Return to msconfig.
Go to the Services tab.
In the bottom left, check the checkbox 'Hide all Microsoft Services".

You may disable all these services, although you may want to keep your anti-virus and firewall services running.

3. Scan and remove malware
Download the program Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php

Install and run a full scan. Be patient, this can take a long time to complete.

4. Uninstall Unused Programs
Start > Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a program

There are probably a lot of programs you could uninstall, including many that likely came preinstalled with your computer.

5. Cleanup Temporary Files
Download CCleaner and use it to delete temporary files from various programs.
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

6. Disable Visuals
My Computer > Properties > Advanced System Setting
Under Performance select Settings
To disable all visuals for better performance, select 'Adjust for best performance'.
If you prefer you can hand pick what you want to use for Visual Effects.
Click Apply.

7. Defragment your harddrive
Overtime your computer will become slower as a result of a fragmented harddrive. This is a result of everyday computer usage.

My Computer > Right click and select Properties on your C drive
Select the Tools tab > Under Defragmentation select Defragment Now

Select your C drive > Click Defragment disk

This operation may take a while to complete, be patient.

8. Restart Your Computer
Restart your computer and see if your computer runs better. If you find it's still running slower than it should, cleaning your registry with a registry cleaning program may help. Another thing is that you may be running a resource killing anti-virus or firewall. To find out you can disable it/them from starting up, if you notice a significant improvement, look for an alternative firewall or anti-virus.

Have you considered that you might be infected? Have you scanned for possible infections?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back