Windows won't repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Windows xp SP2 was playing up a little so I decided to 'repair' it. Everything went smooth, I was on settings screen after the setup had finished installing devices when the light flickered and computer restarted. I went past the OS choice menu and boot screen and then it told me that 'the setup is being restarted' after that point the whole screen went black with the exception of active mouse pointer. Now it jams at the same point everytime I try to repair/upgrade my previous Windows Installation but the pointer remains active.

I am at a loss, can somebody help me get out of this trouble..? I do not want to do a fresh install I want my previous installation back working because I have had it running for almost a year without any problems and you can imagine how much I'll lose.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

I have been having the same problem, my computer shut down during the setup installation procedure after going through repair/install. Now it also gets stuck after the xp splash screen on blank screen with a mouse cursor. Have tried going through the repair/install many times but it never gets to the installation screen just goes blank after splash screen.

I have been searching and have tried fixmbr, fixboot, bootcfg no joy. So any body out there who can help?

Hello guys and welcome to Techspot.

This is only a suggestion that may or may not work, but I think it`s worth a try.

Disconnect anything not required to run the computer. Just leave the mobo/psu/cpu/graphics card/hard drive/1 stick of ram/cd-rom/mouse/keyboard.

Try the repair again and see what happens.

The reason I`ve suggested this, is a friend of mine had the same problem. It turned out it was his 5 in 1 card reader that was causing the problem. Since then I`ve always disconnected all peripherals including usb devices/card readers/tv cards etc etc.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks Howard,

Il try that because i do have a tv card plugged in, Although it did work for the first time with the everything plugged in and it did go into the upgrade/repair setup process but then i stepped on the power cord and it switched off. Since then just get a blank screen with cursor after the splash screen, maybe it doesn't know where to start the setup again or something.

regards

have unplugged the tv card and re-run upgrade/install, but the same problem still occurs get past the splash screen and then blank with a movable cursor. Anyone else with any ideas?

So you can't get into windows eh? I have a solution that is a bit annoying and difficult (also it is a last resort).

Put another hard drive in your computer and make it the Master and the one your are trying to repair the Slave. Install XP on the new Master drive. Transfer your important files to the new Master, simply by dragging and dropping in My Computer. THEN reformat and install XP on the Slave disk after you backed up everything into the new Master drive. After this, turn the Slave disk back into the Master disk and the Master disk into the Slave disk. Voila, XP is clean. Transfer your files back the same way you did last time, then take out the extra hard drive.

Would i need to reinstall my apps again? If yes is there anyway I can get it running without installing the applications again?

Well making a backup, I would assume that you have the install files for your applications or the cd's for them. So yes, you would have to reinstall them if you reinstall XP. No, there is no other way unless you don't want your programs anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back