Windows XP boots....but then doesn't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I am new here, so go easy on me, as I am not the best with computers!!!

I have a problem in that Windows XP Pro boots up, goes to the log in screen and when you choose the only user (me) the Windows desktop comes on the screen for about 1 second before kicking itself back out to the log in screen again, thus it never lets me into windows. I have tried to go through safe mode but that does the same thing, apart from when it kicks me out it gives the option to log in as an administrator, but I do not have a password to get into the system and it will not accept blank or "password".

The only thing that changed in the past few days was an automatic update from Microsoft that may have set this off.

What are my options to either recover the system or retrieve the data that is on there. I have no back ups as the burner had died in the past few months.

Any help would be appreciated.

Beefy

I have also tried to reboot via safe mode - restart at the last previous settings where windows worked and it has done exactly the same thing.

Beefy

Hi smore,

I have tried to boot from the CD but it just keeps doing the same thing as I described. First I thought my cd rom had died so I replaced it and it still does the same thing. Next I changed to BIOS to boot from CD Rom for all 3 options and still no joy.
I have noticed that it should give me option to select to boot from CD but my system does not, it just does it automatically.

Is there anything else I can do?

Beefy

You need to look for the message "Press any key to boot from CD..." which appear for short before the start of OS loading.
Also, after POS, the BIOS recognize devices and tell you some shortcuts (Press Del to enter BIOS, etc.) take a look for one that is for Boot menu or something similar.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back