Windows XP desktop doesn't load fully, only the wallpaper shows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I opened my computer and found a black Warning wallpaper on my desktop that a spyware/adware could be infecting my computer. So I ran Spyware Doctore and it was able to clean everything out. I thought it was just a normal cookies and 'regular' spyware program. After that though I couldn't open IE. So I restarted the computer and the chkdsk at the start took forever to finish. When Windows loaded, all the other desktop items wouldn't show except for my wallpaper and the cursor. When I try ctrl alt del, it says Task Manager Administrator has disabled the option (or something along that line.)

I'm trying to reinstall Windows now in Safe Mode Command Prompt (cos the rest of the task bars, etc won't show in Safe Mode alone. In this mode only the command prompt shows.) But it won't read my CD. I'm going to try and borrow another perhaps just to get through replacing my OS for the meantime.

However is there anything else I can do? I'm on another computer and won't be able to provide logs, etc :( What could be the problem? I can only run my computer now in safe mode command prompt and work with command prompt.

Edit:
I've located some folders in my program files that I haven't seen before:
astalavista toolbar
ItBill
BraveSentry

Are these just adwares or are there other things that could be affecting windows?

Yeah, just make sure that there is no way of recovering fully, and if you can't then just reinstall the OS.:)

I had this happen once after I resized a partition. Unfortunately there was an error and the files for windows explorer (the program for navigateing windows which all icons, task bars,etc. are contained) were corrupted. Tho only solution was to reinstall the OS. There is a good chance that something either corrupted or deleated windows explorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back