Windows XP freezes occassionally

Hi,

I'm using windows xp home 32 bit with the following spec:
-i7 920
-gtx 295
-seagate 1TB
-P6T motherboard
-6 gb of RAM

My system sometimes freezes occasionally even when I left it without running any program. The period varies, sometimes once a week or sometimes even thrice a day.

When it freezes, I cant move my mouse or keyboard and windows is basically stopped functioning, leaving me with no choice but to reboot.

At first I thought it was the installation of windows, but the problem still exist even after i did a reinstall of windows.

I did a few research and I tried to check my harddrive. I used seatools for DOS to check my harddrive by running the long test. After a while, the test reported 1 error which can be fixed. After fixing it,the test is marked as PASSED AFTER REPAIR. But this does not fix the problem.

Can someone help me in tackling this problem?

Regards,

Andre

That Seagate 1TB hard drive has always been a problem. We have six of them... Good for data storage only.
Suggest you borrow or buy another hard drive uner 750 GB to try... preferably a Seagate 500 GB or Western Digital Black 500 GB, and see if the problem goes away.

Otherwise, you may have a memory problem. You haven't told us whiat memory modules are installed... whether your system is overclocked, the CPU, CPU cooler, and such... so it is hard to advise

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't overclock any of the system. And say if i want to replace it with another harddrive, is is it ok if i just format and partition the other harddrive exactly like the old one, ad copy everything across? If I do it that way is there going to be a problem when it is used for booting the OS? Also about the temp, I monitored my CPU temp and it is always under 40 degrees so it should be fine.

Regards,

Andre

Back