Windows XP Home edition: - Need Help in reading a Memory Dump File.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all can anyone help, recently I have experienced several crashes were the blue screen of death points to a hardware or software installation, I have install the Dumpchk.exe from the Windows disk and tried to ready these files but all I get is an error code.

I have used the Microsoft help site and followed the command line instructions but I must be doing it wrong?

I have solved the problem that was causing the crash but it took several attempts to solve (24 hours) there are some Mini-01.dump files created, without causing error messages or crashes and I would like to investigate these but I need someone to point me to an easer to understand plain English list of commands and the correct syntax.

Regards, Martin1955.

Commands and syntax?

The only tool there is for memory dump files is a hex editor. Or maybe a disassembler.

You have to be a very serious computer expert to make anything out of these dump files. For any normal human being they are absolutely useless.

Install windbg and you can download it from mircosoft web site. The on-line help of windbg will guide you how to read dump.
The most useful subcommand
!analyze -v (analyse the dump)
kb (stack trace)
lm t n (load module map with timestamp)

Hope it can help you

Nodsu said:
Commands and syntax?

The only tool there is for memory dump files is a hex editor. Or maybe a disassembler.

You have to be a very serious computer expert to make anything out of these dump files. For any normal human being they are absolutely useless.

Thanks for the advice; I managed to load the file and your right made no sense to me.

Regards,

Martin1955

cpc2004 said:
Install windbg and you can download it from mircosoft web site. The on-line help of windbg will guide you how to read dump.
The most useful subcommand
!analyze -v (analyse the dump)
kb (stack trace)
lm t n (load module map with timestamp)

Hope it can help you

Thanks for the reply; I'll download windbg and give it a whirl.

Regards,

Martin1955

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back