Windows XP Log On error

Status
Not open for further replies.

JET673_311

I have recently been configuring my home network and have got a hold of MaCafee 7.1. I ran Stinger stand alone virus scan for Macafee it came up with 2 infected files and it deleted them both. So after i configured my network I restarted my computer, but after I logged on my computer it restarted immediatly. So i ran it in safe mode W/ networking and used system restore to take me back before i scanned my computer. I logged on fine and I decided to scan my computer with the regular MaCafee Virus scan. it also detected 2 files and deleted both, but the same problem occured. This time when i ran it in safe mode it would not complete the restore.
I have been using AVG, Spybot, Ad-aware, Hijack this and have also updated my computer with Windows Updates and Service Pack 2. it is an HP Pavilion with Windows XP Home and the name of the deleted files were somethign like SB.bot - worm. Any help would be appreciated...

What are the filenames that are showing as infected?

When it reboots does it flash up a blue-screen, or any information?
It may just flash up for a split second.

Also, the virus name would be helpfull. Please verify SB.bot as what your a/v software calls the virus.

Does your A/V software tell you the filenames of the infected files?

From what i've seen about this virus it takes advantage of windows exploits. This shouldn't be an issue as you say you've patch it all up. I'm not incredibly familiar with McAfee, have you updated it? I don't mean only the defs. Often times A/V manufacturers have updates for the detection engine and other components as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back