Windows XP Pro SP2 error with SATA - RAID drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I've seen a lot of similar problems to this one on the net, but non exactly the same or one that has a solution that works for me...

The system:
- Intel DQ35JO board
- Intel Core2 Quad 2.63 Ghz processor
- 4 x 1GB RAM
- 2 x 500GB Seagate SATA HDD
- Samsung SATA DVD-RAM Drive
The HDD's are plugged into SATA0 and SATA1 ports.
The DVD drive into SATA2 port.

Firstly if I keep the HDD's as legacy in BIOS I can install XP Pro SP2, no probs.
But if I change BIOS to RAID, reboot, configure as RAID1 in Intel Matrix Storage setup (BIOS picks up the new RAID volume) press F6 to provide the Intel Matrix Storage drivers in XP install, choose the ICH9 drivers (tried the 2 other available options as well) then XP install continues loading files until it gets to "Starting Windows" at which point it gives me the following error => STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I've tried:
- downloading the latest drivers,
- skipping the F6 driver install
but everything gives me the blue screen.
- I've also installed XP without RAID and then tried to upgrade to RAID, but the Intel Matrix Storage software just says the system doesn't support the minimum requirements....

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Things to check

*You can build your RAID after you install Windows on a single SATA drive.

Some other notes:
Intel’s RAID configuration software offers the ability to create RAID volumes manually. This option should be used if you are using a third bootable device such as an IDE or SCSI hard drive – in addition to using two SATA hard drives. To create a RAID volume manually, see the section titled "Create Volume Manually" in the User’s Manual.

The RAID option must be enabled in BIOS before the system can load the Intel RAID Option ROM code.

The SATA controller has three modes of operation:

IDE mode - no AHCI, no RAID
SATA mode (sometimes called AHCI mode) - AHCI enabled, no RAID
RAID mode - AHCI enabled, RAID enabled
AHCI mode also allows for Hot Swapping drives.

Switching SATA modes in the BIOS after installing the operating system is not recommended when a SATA drive is the boot drive. Switching modes may cause an immediate blue screen with an 0x0000007b error code, followed by a reboot.

I hope that helps!
J

The problem with building the RAID after you installed Windows is that your system still needs to be "RAID Ready" which means RAID enabled in BIOS, which is where the problem starts..

However I've managed to resolve the prob. I was using the ICH9 driver while I should've been using the ICH8R/ICH9R one.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back