Windows XP setup problem on Dell Latitude D620 after using DBAN

alex03

Hello again. I used Darik's Boot and Nuke to wipe the hard drive of my Dell Latitude D620 laptop, and am now using the official Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition disc that originally came with the laptop, to reinstall everything. It goes through a hardware configuration check, then into Windows Setup. Setup appears to load all files correctly, then shows "starting Windows". At this point a blue screen appears saying "a problem has been detected and window has been shut own to prevent damage to your computer. Technical information listed below is: ***STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF76130BF, 0xF7A5F208, 0xF7A5EF08) pci.sys - Address F7130BF base at F760/c000, DateStamp 3b7d855c. I'm not 100% certain, but I think the laptop may have shown the same error just before I used DBAN. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Microsoft says:
STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x804E518E, 0xFC938104, 0xFC937E04)
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

WUSB54GCx86.sys- Address 92D89498 base at 92D7c000, Datestamp 45c04cc9
Note The parameters and file names in this error message might vary, depending on the cause of the Stop error. The file name in the second line of the error message, WUSB54GCx86.sys, is an example of a driver file that might be causing the error.

What does YOUR second line read? Search in eventvwr.msc
  • Windows Logs -> System

Not sure how to search that, I'm a novice at this. The hard drive was wiped clean with Darik's Boot and Nuke and now I'm trying to boot the laptop using the MS Windows XP disk that came with it. As soon as I power it up It says "setup is inspecting your hardware configuration", then gets to "Setup is starting windows", then comes up with "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters. Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options., and then select Safe Mode. Then it shows the error I listed above. Can't seem to get it to start in Safe Mode either.

Stop 7E errors as soon as Windows tries to use Windows drivers for the HDD. Usual cause : XP requires SATA drivers as a separate supply from a floppy disk during the install process. This is a heck of a problem to solve without knowledge. Your disk drive needs to be an IDE drive or running in an IDE compatibility mode to install XP successfully. Then you can install ok.

It can get worse - if the laptop is sufficiently old, you will restore it to XP with no service packs, and it is unlikely to work properly until updated to SP3 (service pack 3) which is also about 3 times more disk space.......and hours to install......

There is no good reason to suffer the slings and arrows of XP - a 14-year old OS - just do your best to aquire a Win 7 SP1 install and your problems are over with that hardware. If you cannot do that, give it up and install a Linux distribution which can do all the emailing, internet browsing, office applications, music playing, image manipulation etc, but not games.

Last edited:
That sounds the easiest option. You could then use say VMWare Player to install Windows XP using your set up disc. A virtual copy of XP gives you the option to run any programs that are not compatible with later OSs and you won't be battling SATA problems.

Thanks everyone for your inputs on my problem - I now know how to proceed, and yes this is a really old laptop I was trying to revive. I truly appreciate everyone's time and efforts in helping folks on the forum!

Back