Windows XP startup problems after repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin16

Hey guys,

When I was trying to change my default XP boot screen, I replaced my original ntoskrnl.exe with the downloaded one. After that, I rebooted and my computer reported that "ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt." So I used the repair option on my XP CD to try to replace the file. After the repair, I got the BSOD when trying to boot up. It stated that I should remove any new hard drives or hard drive controllers, but I didn't just install any new HDs. In fact, I had Win2000 on another partition that still works perfectly fine.

So my problem is, I need to get some important files from XP, but I set my admin account folder to private, so I can't access it from Win2000. I know I can take ownership of the folder from another XP account, but can I do it from Win2000?

If anyone can help me get my files, that would be great. If anyone can help me recover Windows, that would be even better.

BTW: CHKDSK /R, FIXMBR, and FIXBOOT didn't help

Thanks

Well, I didn't find out what was wrong with XP, but I managed to get my files and documents back from my private folder.

I was able to take ownership of the folder in Win2000 and I re-installed XP.

Had I read Rick's thread on how to take ownership from another WinXP/Win2000 install before, I would've saved myself a lot of time.

Nice work Rick :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back