Windows XP Stop help

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I turned on my PC this morning, I was met with the standard option of running Windows in safe mode, safe mode with networking, last known good operation, as well as normally. Regardless of which option I selected, the Windows boot up screen would appear and before the loading bar cycled once, a blue screen appeared with the following message.

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or back up utilities. Check hard drive configuration and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption, then restart computer.

Tech info:

STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x82FD1578, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

I have not installed any new softward in the recent past and I have no idea how to go about to fix this problem....

Thanks in advance for your help.

With the power off, re-seat your RAM and any add-in cards. While you have the cover off have a look at how much dust in present and clean it out if necessary.
I hate those stop errors, they can be a pain to diagnose. When you power it back up have a look to see if all your fans are working, video card and processor especially. You may want to disconnect anything you don't need for the PC to boot up. Printers, scanners, web cames, that kind of stuff. If none of that helps my next step is usually to boot from my XP CD and do a repair. If it's a corrupted system file that should fix it. If I get a blue screen or other error while doing the repair I start looking at hardware like the RAM and hard drive. I'd run memtest for the RAM and download the hard drive utility from the manufacturers web site. I'd test those two items first and then move on depending on what you find.

Did you run the Error Checking as suggested?

My computer> right click on Local Drive- usually C-> Properties> Tools> Error Check> Check both boxes on the screen that comes up> Apply> Close the message and reboot. The Error Checking will begin. It might take a while- let it finish- system will reboot when through.

Make sure all active Windows have been closed as well as email program.

See if that resolves the problem. If it does not, have a look at the information below:

STOP 0x00000024, 0X0000024, 0X24, NTFS_FILE_SYS Error Code
http://www.geekswhoknow.com/articles/stop-0x00000024-0x0000024-0x24-ntfs-file-sys-error-code.htm

Windows XP: Windows Stop Error 0x00000024
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?threadID=227164

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back