Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Gunn

Hey Guys...

I was wondering....if there is a software out there that will allow me to Patch my Windows XP without having to re-install my whole entire windows...

Yes, but expensive. A full version of Windows XP Professional run in Repair mode will do it... but not an Upgrade version, not a recovery or restore set version, not an Academic Version, and not an OEM version.
There are other ways.
Service Pack 2, and 3 are practically new versions of Windows that will install over the top of your exisiting Windows.
You cannot get Service Pack 3 on disc yet... it is not officially out, but you can buy Service Pack 2 on a CD for $3,40 from Microsoft. It arrives pretty quickly... even if you have Service Pack 2 installed, the cd version will reinstall Service Pack 2.
Then reboot and download the current version of Service Pack 3, and run it. It still has a few problems but they are working them out very quickly.
Then you will be best served by also downloading and installing Internet Explorer 7, and then running Microsoft Updates in the Custom mode so you can see what is being downloaded. I would download everything you can as a update or an upgrade, including Media Player 11, DirectX 9c, and so on.
That will patch your existing install pretty well.
But you may still have infestations from the old stuff, as some of it resides in memory. I would run all your scans in regular mode now, then immediately shut down by the off button, then cold boot to SAFE MODE by pressing the <F8> key repeatedly once per second... and run all the scans again in SAFE MODE... this helps get rid of the infestations that hide in memory when you shut down.

It is always best to backup what you have. Always
However, we have installed perhaps more than 2500 Service Pack 2 by Microsoft discs without ever losing data.
That is by purchasing the disc from Microsoft for $3.40.
We do not trust the downloaded version to that extent.

you wont, but it's always advised that you back up, incase something messes up.

if you can move your files to a different partition, it will be easier.

Windows XP absolutely demands that it be on the first partition, unless you are schooled in the special little tricks to go elsewhere... but for someone who doesn't know, use the first partition, then install other OS on the other partitions through the Windows install 3.1

"if there is a software out there that will allow me to Patch my Windows XP without having to re-install my whole entire windows.."

I have to ask you- what is it you want to "patch". Your use of this term is not clear. Nor is it clear why you think the alternative is a reinstall of the OS..

You do not need to reinstall to get back a missing .dll file. If it is a legitimate file, there are several sites on the internet where they can be downloaded.

However, I don't send anyone to automatically download a .dll file until I can identify it as authentic. A .dll file is a Dynamic Link Library file which contains a library of executable functions or data.

Steve Gunn said:
How do you know which partition it is?

One way you can you tell is to see the contents of your C drive. For example 'My Computer' - C: Drive. If there are folders such as ' Documents and Settings', 'Program Files', 'Windows' we can then assume that the C: drive is where your OS is installed.

Now in some cases both partitions might have the same folders as above b/c the second partition also has an OS installed, however with your issue, i doubt this is the case

Good job!! Always glad to hear a successful story. You can return the favor by helping someone else out with a similar issue.

Anyway, glad you got it to work,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back