winxp constantly restarting at load screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soap

windows xp pro on my second machine constanlty restarts at the load screen after a BSOD flashes on the screen and it does this in a continual loop.

unfortunately i cant read the BSOD which im assuming could possibly give somebody else a hint to what is wrong i read on computing.net or somewhere(i forget the site) that this could be driver related.

any help getting windows into windows would be great.

Thanks.

Have you tried (F8) during the bootup to boot to safe mode? If that works you can check the logs and device manager to (hopefully) see what is going wrong.

What you are experiencing is called BSIL ( Blue Screen Inifinite Loop) do a google search using " Windows XP infinite loop" as keywords there is a lot of information about it and it can be caused by several different things.

When did it start doing this? You might want to try removing pieces of hardware to see if it stops, & does Safe Mode work?

You can always try re-installing Windows by booting to the CD. (Either format your hard drive or get rid of the former Windows installation). Then if everything is ok with a clean install, start installing your drivers. Do this systematically. Install sound, reboot... error? no? install your video drivers, reboot... error? no?.. continue...

If you get the same problem from a clean install then it is probably hardware related. So start removing hardware one by one and see if this problem occurs. If you have older hardware somewhere that will work in your system you can also replace some of the hardware with your older hardware and see if that fixes the problem. If so you may need to replace/RMA something.

You can either do a clean install of Windows first, or try the hardware method first. Either way, doesnt really matter whicih one you do first. Just a matter of preference.

safe mode does not work. ill try doing that search on the loop and see what it can tell me. if this doesnt work i guess the clean install is the only way ill do that step by step thing aswell.

thanks for the help everybody.

If safe mode doesn't work, then you might want to try doing a automated repair by booting from your Windows 2000 CD.

From my experiences, the most common reason for this behavior is corrupted file systems or drivers.

automated repair from 2000 cd? can i do that even though the machine is running xp pro?

I'm sure he meant XP. You can do the same thing in windows XP. Go through the install as if you were doing a clean install and when you select the C partition to install to it will ask if you want to do a fresh install or repair the existing install. Select repair, or if there is no critical data you want to recover then just format and do a clean install. Sometimes the repair works, sometimes it doesn't.

Sorry about that. I was looking at your profile and it says Win2k. :) But yeah, the same holds true for XP.. Just don't do the automated repair. Follow Tarkus' directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back