Status
Not open for further replies.

samc

Hello.

Before I begin, my computer specs...

256Mb RAM,
40Gb HDD and
AMD Athlon 1.5Ghz.

I have recently had to format my computer. I am, was, running WinXP.
I used my Win98 StartUp disk to exit to DOS and then formatted C:
I reinstalled Win98, then upgraded to WinXP.
Everything is running fine except that I now need the Win98 CD in to boot otherwise I recieve the message...

Boot from CD:
Boot from CD:
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

What the smeg is going on?
I've tried changing the boot order in BIOS from CD to Floppy to HDD-0, -1 and -2 and back again but that doesn't seem to help.

Any help is much appreciated.
Cheers.
Sam.

OK found the boot.ini file. It reads...

[boot loader]
time out = 30
default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating system]
default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

I haven't a clue what it should say.
Any ideas?
Cheers again.
Sam.

I'm not sure why it would be giving you problems. That boot.ini looks correct for the way most people have their comps set up.

What I must ask though is why did you install 98 and then upgrade? You can install XP without a previous OS installed even if its an Upgrade version of XP. At some point in the install it will ask you to prove you have a copy of windows that is eligible for XP to upgrade from. When that happens, you just put in your 98 install cd and all is well.

I guess you wouldn't be able to do this though if you have a branded comp that has 'restore' disks rather than a real 98 cd.

You can download the XP boot floppys, there are 6 of them. Or you can boot with your 98 floppy, then insert your 98 cd and install smartdrv.exe. I believe its in the root dir of the cd, so its like d:\smartdrv.exe. Then once thats installed (it doesn't pop up anything, it just goes back to the prompt) you can put in your XP cd and go to D:\I386\winnt.exe to begin the XP install.

I can't get/be arsed to get into DOS anymore for some reason but i think I'll just put up with having to have the Win98 CD into boot.

Cheers again for all your help.
Sam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back