Wireless bridge problem

Hello to everyone,

I have a net gear DG834 Router at home through which I get my internet. In order to avoid cables lying around my living room, I created a wireless bridge between my router and a airlive wmm-3000ap access point. From the access point I connected to my satelitte receiver via LAN cable. I also managed to connect my laptop wirelessly to the same airlive access point. However I found two problems.

1) My connection to the internet is damn slow
2) On pinging to my router I get request time out in between.

What did I do wrong? Is it because I used the airlive access point as a bridge and as a wireless access point at the same time.

hmm; does the layout look like this?
ISP===DG834 Router - - - A/P===Satellite​
That would appear to provide to Internet Connections. What devices are attached to
the DG834 Router:?
the A/P?

ISP===DG834 Router - - - A/P===Satellite

Yes the layout is correct

The telephone line connects to router.

The Router connects to my desktop computer via Lan cable.

The AP connects via LAN Cable to the satelitte receiver.

I was also connecting my laptop wirelessly to the AP but today I thought not to do that. But still while pinging from my desktop computer(which is connected the router) to the AP I still was getting request time outs.

Router Local IP Address: 192.168.0.1(Static)
AP Local IP Address: 192.168.0.2(Static)
Both the reciever and the desktop computer gets IP address from the DHCP of the router.

Router Local IP Address: 192.168.0.1(Static)
AP Local IP Address: 192.168.0.2(Static)
Both the reciever and the desktop computer gets IP address from the DHCP of the router.
ok - - then the DHCP Range on the router must be greater that 2->x; suggestion 10-20. This ensures that some system doesn't conflict with either static address.
COPY the vale of netmask from the router to the AP
the AP Gateway is the router address (192.168.0.1)
let the AP get the DNS automatically

I was also connecting my laptop wirelessly to the AP but today I thought not to do that. But still while pinging from my desktop computer(which is connected the router) to the AP I still was getting request time outs.

So a device AP.system can ping router but
router.system can not ping the AP? how about router.system ping AP.system?
the AP could be set to not answer ping (but does not inhibit pinging any attached systems).

Q? If the Internet is on the DSL=router, then what do you expect to get from the Satellite?

fyi:
DG834 v4 has a bug which stops all SMB (Windows File Sharing) traffic traversing the VPN.

This bug was fixed in firmware version 5.01.09, as noted in the Netgear release notes:

Fixed an issue where browsing shares across a VPN (for example: \\192.168.1.2\sharename) would fail.

After upgrading the firmware to that version, the issue was resolved and workstations could access remote file shares again.
SOLVE THIS LATER :)

Thank you Jobeard for your help. It seems the problem was with the antenna of the wmm3000-ap access point. It comes with two types of antennas, one single fat one and two small antennas. When I replaced the fat one with two small ones, it worked like a charm. Thanks again.

Back