Wish List: What TechSpot writers want in Windows 10

Jos

Staff

list techspot windows microsoft windows 10

In a shortlist of new features we would all like to see in Windows 10, there are a few at the top of that list we now know Microsoft is working on already: the return of the Start menu, less Modern UI where you don’t need it, and other desktop-focused productivity enhancements like virtual desktops. There are others that Microsoft believes to have tackled but in reality are sorely lacking, to name two big ones: universal search and 4k monitor/HiDPI support.

We asked TechSpot’s staff what they thought of the Windows 10 announcement and what changes they would like to see on Microsoft’s next major update to the OS. Here are their answers -- be sure to share yours too.

Read the complete article.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the tech preview of Windows 10 is pretty much the look and feel we can expect from the RTM, then Microsoft has already lost. The top requests on the feedback boards are:

* Put the live tiles on the desktop where their actually useful, like a new kind of gadget
* Bring back AERO
* Stop hiding the classic control menu
* Come up with a consistent new design that's somewhere between the old Windows style and the awful, lifeless Metro look. In short, rip off Android and iOS.
* Fix the scaling, esp. in third party programs (third party programs and the system tray look BAD)

There are a number of others that are also "trending" but those seem to be the major requests. I pretty much agree with all of them, although I'd be perfectly happy if they went back to the Vista look at this point. I'd also love to see a sidebar for my live tiles.

I'm with Steven on this (as usual my views align with his). Windows 8 has been demonized. Ignore Metro and it's just a more polished Win 7. Although if I hadn't had a discount offer I may never have upgraded from 7 to 8 until it was forced upon me by DirectX updates no longer being available for Win 7.

I just want Windows to have better driver support. I hate installing network drivers, printers, GPU drivers for Intel's integrated graphics, and that kind of ****. Should be easy to implement; Linux has had these features for years. Just do it, Microsoft.

Pollo Pazzo posted on winsupersite.com/podcasts/windows-weekly-378-notepad-monster

"Notepad is like the only thing in Windows that literally hasn't changed since the first Windows came out! Windows Weekly 378: Notepad Monster | Podcasts content from Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows"

As of 2013, however, Internet Explorer, Notepad and Visual Studio did not have a ribbon.
Make a ribbon for Notepad at least!

1. Bring back the Performance Index
2. Dump the 32-bit of OS at last
3. Improve high DPI support
4. Add tabs to the cmd console

I've only spent a few minutes with Windows 10 but at first glance it looks like they have a fairly decent compromise between the windows everyone knows and a metro style interface available. Yes there are a number of things people will need to get use to (where is my control panel) oh, that's where it is I think...
Personally I feel the changes are acceptable (the one's I've noticed so far. Now keep in mind, I tried a version of windows 8 for about 30 seconds and never went back so some of these changes I'm seeing may not be truly new but. They are to me,

1. Flat interface is visually awful. Bring back shadowed UI capability, Aero if you will. This is the worst thing about W8.

2. Critical to bring back Windows Easy Transfer. Saves tremendous time when setting up multiple login ids for multiple family members and guarantees consistency. Loss of WET is the second worst thing about W8.

3. Bring back entry into Safe Mode with F8.

I'm all in for performance, I coudln't care less about shadows or transparencies (gimme da shinieeeees).

After reading everything I do feel like high dpi scalling is something needed, but hey we still have another year to see everything thrown into the grill and so far it's looking promissing.

Pretty much what I wanted from Windows too. If Windows 8 had a start menu it would be better than 7 cause it's the same OS just polished a bit more. That's what Windows 10 is and I have no reason to hate it yet. I was never bothered by the flat design, It seems OK to me. What I want from Windows 10 is more performance and polish as always.

I'm with Steven on this (as usual my views align with his). Windows 8 has been demonized. Ignore Metro and it's just a more polished Win 7. Although if I hadn't had a discount offer I may never have upgraded from 7 to 8 until it was forced upon me by DirectX updates no longer being available for Win 7.

How can you seriously say Widows 8 is like Windows 7 if you ignore Metro??? It's like standing in downpour and saying "it's really a nice day if you ignore the rain".

1. Dump the 32-bit of OS altogether (not my idea but good)
2. Add tabs to the cmd console (not my idea but good)
3. manditoty regisration for all users
name address telephone number where microsoft will send you two codes via snail mail
a reinstall code for when you have problems
and a final code for deactivation so that that cd key code will become obsolete
4. lock the run command and command line for single computers with a 9 to 64 encrypted digit password
this would prevent rouge software from installing in the background while you do other things
5. prevent all 32 bit software from running except in a sandbox where it has limited access to hardware
6. bring back "A and B drives but only for the operating system "C drive" would still be your main storage drive

Windows 8 had a number of problems. Windows 8.1 fixed the key ones. Windows 10 (8.2) seems to fix the remaining ones, (we will see when its released). I agree that upgrades should be a lower cost, Free - $40 (depending on your current version).

How can you seriously say Widows 8 is like Windows 7 if you ignore Metro??? It's like standing in downpour and saying "it's really a nice day if you ignore the rain".

It would be more like a cloud in the middle of a sunny day, it's a perfect day unless you keep on focusing on that ONE cloud passing over your head.

Pretty much like you are doing, it's not pouring, it's not even dropping water, it's just a cloud there looking odd and it's messing your whole day!

Huge +1 to Asok Asus's first point. Windows 8+ is just fugly. Flat, blocky, chunky Lego-style. Minimalism may be in vogue, but I'll pass. And why not at least give people the choice? XP had the option to look like Windows 9x, as did Vista and 7. So why can't 8 / 10 look like 7? Or GNOME, KDE, E17 etc for that matter. Sleek, attractive and modern without being Lego-style.

The one thing I want in Windows 10 is backwards compatibility with older games that ran perfectly in 64-bit Windows 7. I have a few older titles (Sinistar Unleashed, Freespace series and Descent 3) where the installer won't even run in Windows 8.1. If this is remedied in 10 I'll be a happy camper.

I'll come up with more stuff later.

- AERO
- unified and consistent icon styles instead of a mix of Win7 + Win8 icons
- AFAIK, Windows has more than one type of UI scaling: they should discard the outdated ones and force the developers to use the only remaining
- force the softwares (or the devs) to handle Windows scaling (like 125%) and DPI scaling as two different things, and do so properly

How can you say its not? Sure they've moved some options around and doubled up on some things like PC settings via Metro and Control panel. I guess it somewhat depends on how you use the computer. I use Lightroom/Photoshop maximised so I don't see anything but the application. I use IE Desktop version, not the metro abomination... in fact I use Chrome and Opera more often. In Win7 I hit the windows key and type the first letters of the app I'm looking for and hit return. Same in Win 8. I just ignore the multicoloured tetris block display that flashes up. And I have it boot to desktop instead of the Metro start screen.

I want my Gadgets back!
I'd like to see at any second what my CPU/RAM/HD is doing without having to open Task Manager.

How can you say its not? Sure they've moved some options around and doubled up on some things like PC settings via Metro and Control panel. I guess it somewhat depends on how you use the computer. I use Lightroom/Photoshop maximised so I don't see anything but the application. I use IE Desktop version, not the metro abomination... in fact I use Chrome and Opera more often. In Win7 I hit the windows key and type the first letters of the app I'm looking for and hit return. Same in Win 8. I just ignore the multicoloured tetris block display that flashes up. And I have it boot to desktop instead of the Metro start screen.

Metro UI should be optional. I never ever use Metro UI on my computers on windows 8. I never ever use it on my PC (except to add Bluetooth devices, because there is no other way), and not anymore on my Surface Pro, despite it being a tablet. Such a low-density UI is not appropriate for any serious usage, and MS should have let users choose not to install it altogether.

Back