XP: Blank Screen with Blinking Cursor

Status
Not open for further replies.

manofmany

I'm beginning to think this lies outside of a software issue. While watching a racing video the other day, everything on the screen got HUGE and froze the computer. Thereafter it wouldn't boot XP. I got it to now boot into XP and I can login by deleting the display adapter. However, after I've been in Windows for 30 seconds or so it goes to a blank black screen with a blinking cursor. No keyboard or mouse commands work. The CDROM still opens.

What are some likely scenarios? This is on a Dell Dimension 8250. It has old RDRAM in it. I tried taking a stick out to test it but the computer just started beeping without it. There are 4 sticks. I'd rather it be the video card than the RAM if anything at all hardware related.

I just tried to reinstall XP and while at the Installing screen it went to a blank screen with a blinking cursor.

Hi,
Do you have an Nvidia graphics card? this happens because a file called as nv4_disp.dll goes corrupt. Do you have onboard video? what you have to do is uninstall the display adaptor and rid your system of the driver.. then shut down and remove the card.. after that restart without the card.. if you have an onboard, better still as you can reinstall direct X. Then download latest drivers from nvidia website and turn off again.. connect the card and restart the PC.. install the new drivesr and Bingo. Most probably you will be able to get the system running.
If this does not work be prepared to shell out for a new card.
If you do not have a card then you will have to buy one.. onboard adaptor is fried.
Take care.

The fact that the problem goes away in SAFE MODE, leads me to be almost certain it is the video graphics port or card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back