XP has virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie61

My OS has gotten infected and I can't even find Windows IE. I can get on with Netscape but there are all kinds of popups and the mouse does not work half the time. I was able to download and run Avast and also Spy Bot S & D and got rid of some viruses. I stopped Avast when it got to the Windows files as I didn't know about deleting those files. Should I run Avast again and delete bad files or move them to the chest or do a system restore?
Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the information. I will give it a try.

When you use Avast in scan mode and it finds problems what is the correct action to take? Delete, move to chest, etc. I was concerned about the Windows files and doing a delete if they were infected.

Thanks,
Charlie

In my opinion the best action would be to quarantine the files before deleting them.
So when avast finds something, tell it to quarantine the file(s)..after the scan is completed, restart your computer to assure that no vital system files were removed.

If your computer starts up without any issues it would then be safe to delete them from quarantine.

Hope this helps to put your mind at ease as to what to do with the file(s). Please keep us up to date on the issue at hand so we can get it resolved for you.

Hi Nobardin,

I moved all the virus contaminated files to the chest and that took care of the problem. Everything is even faster now.

Thanks for the help!!
Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back