XP installation problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post so please excuse me if i miss something.

Anyway I have been upgrading an old desktop Multivision computer (1.8 GHZ chip , Raid Array 2x20GB) 2GB of RAM ) from ME to XP. Multivision is no longer in existence.The computer had not been used for a while and contained a virus which I got rid off with Avast. I then commenced the XP installation and loaded in the drivers for the RAID from floppy disc) ,everything appeared to be OK. However when the installation finally finished , I had problems with getting online. I have a main computer and a wireless network for my daughters laptop. But with this machine being so old I decided to go via homeplugs. I rebooted the computer and switched the modem off and then back on, and this appeared to have fixed the problem. I attempted to register XP and also update with microsoft and then the system froze. Several further attempts also resulted in the same freezing. Eventually after numerous attempts to get the system up and running a disk check was made by the system itself for consistency and there were no probelms. Again, further attempts were made and I received the following error message:-

BCCODE100000d1 BCCP1FA102000 BCP200000010 BCP300000000 BCP4F9A676AD OSVer 5 1 2600 SP 2 0 PRODUCT 768 1.

I even tried to get XP to re-install but I can only get a couple of button presses registered before the system crashes again. I am therefore at a complete loss as to how to proceed or fix the problem. Any ideas gratefully received.

'and this appeared to have fixed the problem.'

This is the point where I lost ability to understand you.

Does this mean 'I got online through a hardwired modem connection'

'I attempted to register XP and also update with microsoft and then the system froze.'

Sounds like you were on-line doing 2 things at once. Were you able to register?

You likely have a hardware error somewhere... there may be a lack of appropriate drivers for your chipset, bios, video graphics, or other items...
Or you could have a hardware failure... You apparently have no way of knowing what hardware is good and which components are failing, and that will take some time and experimentation to find out.
Windows XP will require different drivers that ME, and may require a BIOS upgrade, as well as a Chipset upgrade and a video graphics card or port upgrade, at a minimum.
Can you look at the motherboard and tell us what the model numbers and other information embossed on the board are?
Were it mine, I would use the Windows ME to see that everything is working, then I would use ME to search for the drivers, BIOS, Chipset, and other drivers needed. When you have them all together, perhaps on a USB drive or burned to a CD, then I would use the Windows XP disk to format the hard drive and begin a new install... If that works, then I would update the BIOS and all the drivers.
You may have to look for the drivers and BIOS since the manufacturer are gone, but you can bet that the motherboard was not built by Multivision... and who ever build the board will be a clue as to where you can look for the device and chipset drivers.

rayaby and CC thanks for all your comments.

CCT re "'and this appeared to have fixed the problem." meant that I got online but it then started to freeze and has continually done so. I was trying to register XP first and then I was going to go to the Windows Update.

When I first got online I accessed my ISP which was OK, and then went to microsoft, but I cannot even get this far now.

raybay, I ran the XP upgrade tool and it highlighted potential problems with the printer drivers and a other few minor issues which i resolved. I note what you say over the drivers ,BIOS,chipset,and video card etc. I will check the mobo and get back to you

When you say upgrade to XP, was that a reformat/reinstall or an over-the-top install (upgrade) of ME.

In any event, I agree with the approach raybay suggests- IF you can get ME installed with the minimal drivers (chipset, network) and can run Everest, get the chipset data;

Download and run Everest Home (it is free):

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Once you download it, click on it and let it install and then run it from the icon on your desktop. Click on file, preferences, report and uncheck the 'include debug information in the report' box. People rarely want to see that stuff.

Click on the + sign beside 'Motherboard', then on 'Chipset', then go to the VERY Top of the screen and click on 'report'.

Note: the 'Very Top' isn't one line down, it means what it says.

Cursor over 'quick report-summary' and then click on 'plain text' and then click on 'save to file' and change the 'save in' folder to 'Desktop' and then click 'Save'.

Clear all your open windows and on the Desktop click on that 'report.txt' icon - this will open it in a text editor (probably Notepad) and then copy and paste it to here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back