XP is allowing anyone to change login password

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using XP Pro. I am listed in "User Accounts" as the 'Computer Administrator' with 'password protected'. Every 15th day, a window automatically comes on screen and asks me if I want to update my login password. If I choose yes, then all I have to do is type in a new password and the login password is changed. So, when I am out of town, anyone here at my place could type in a new password and I'd be locked out if they forgot the new pw.
Is there any way I can stop XP from automatically asking me to update my login pw?

Hi Bobm,
No, it doesn't happen if I am already logged in. The "update login password" window only comes onto the screen after I try to login.

These (and many other XP options) are controlled by "policies" which may be set on a local or more general level (e.g. group or computer).

To review local policies you first create a Management console for managing these policies
  • Click Start -> Run. Type mmc and press enter
  • A window with Console Root highlighted opens. Click File-> Add/Remove Snap-in
  • Click Add, scroll to and Group Policy Object Editor. Click Add.Then Finish then Close then OK to close all the selection windows.
  • Now expand Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Account Policies\ Password policy and review/modify individual policies
  • When done do File/Save As and assign it a name. You can after find this console listed among your Administartive Tools

/***** Edit *****/
You may also try downloading and trying FreshUI which can give you a single, simple user inteface to many of these policies

Also:
Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Local Policies\Security Options
and review/modify "Interactive logon: Prompt user to change password before expiration"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back